Christmas Cookie Recipe: German Cinnamon Stars (Zimtsterne)
Guest Post by Sarah of ThisGermanMama
I don’t think there’s many smells that say Christmas more than cinnamon. Nothing makes you feel more at home than smelling a freshly baked batch of cinnamon cookies. Zimtsterne are one of my favourite Christmas cookies to make every year and Christmas wouldn’t be complete without them.
It’s a really easy recipe to follow and you just need a few simple ingredients. The cookies are made almost entirely out of ground almonds and cinnamon, of course. If you haven’t tried it before this cookie will become your new favourite. Once they are fully cooled down you can store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Happy baking everyone!
Ingredients for the dough
- 500 grams ground almonds
- 300g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 egg white
- 1 teaspoon eggnog
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
Ingredients for the icing
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 egg white
Put the cookie cut in icing sugar after each cookie that you cut out. It prevents the dough from sticking to the cookie cutter.
- Preheat the oven to 150 Degrees Celsius or Gas Mark 2
- Mix all of the dough ingredients together with a mixer
- Then use your hands to combine it to a smooth dough ball
- Divide the dough into 3 section
- Roll the dough out, it should be about 1cm thick – Use Icing Sugar not flour to roll it out
- Using a Star cookie cutter, cut out the stars and put them on a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Mix 1 egg white until it is stiff and slowly add the icing sugar. Keep mixing until it’s stiff.
- Spread a small amount of icing on each cookie
- Put it at the bottom of the oven for 10-15 minutes ( The baking time depends on your oven). The icing should be set but not browned.
- Once they are fully cooled, you can put them in a storage container, where they keep for up to 2 weeks.
About the AuthorHi, I’m Sarah and the person behind This German Mama. I’m I’m from Germany and a proud military wife and mum of two, to Miley and Carter. I love writing about all things family, lifestyle and food of course.