Christmas Eve Chili
- 3 tbsp. bacon drippings
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 1 lg. clove garlic, chopped
- 1 lg. green pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs. chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (16 oz.) can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 4 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 (16 oz.) cans chili beans
- Green chiles, finely chopped
- Heat bacon drippings in heavy kettle and sauté
onion, garlic, green pepper for 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook until brown.
- Add remaining ingredients except beans and green chilies.
Cook over low heat 1 1/2 hours.
- Add beans and cook another 1/2 hour.
- Add chilies carefully, just before serving. Stir and serve.
"We serve this traditionally every Christmas Eve. Wherever
the rest of the kin may be, we are all serving the same dish
as the family has for 50 years."
Submitted by Sunny
Sunny's Christmas Avenue
Eve Chili recipes and more. Looking for holiday cooking recipes?
We have pulled all of our best christmas recipes into one
place. Make Xmas extra special with these recipe ideas and