White lightning Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (once around
- 2 pounds diced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large yellow-skinned Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, seeded and
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablesppons ground cumin (a palmful)
- A couple shakes cayenne pepper sauce (Tabasco, Red
- A palmful chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cans (14 oz each) no-fat low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) Great Northern/white kidney beans,
- Coarse salt to taste
- Crushed tortilla chips for topping
- Heat oil in deep skillet or pot over medium-high heat.
Add chicken and cook for a couple of minutes, keeping the
- Add onion, minced hot pepper, garlic, seasonings, and
cilantro. Reduce heat to medium and cook together for 5
minutes to soften and sweeten onion.
- Add broth and beans. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until you're ready to serve.
- Top bowls of chili with crushed tortillas. Other ideas
for garnish are melted shredded Monterey Jack, smoked cheddar,
chopped green onions and/or diced yellow tomatoes.
Makes 6 servings
Rachel Ray 30-Minute Meals
White lightning chili recipes and more. Looking for holiday
cooking recipes? We have pulled all of our best christmas
recipes into one place. Make Xmas extra special with these
recipe ideas and more.