Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 slightly beaten egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum or 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- Ground nutmeg
- Beat the 2/3 cup butter in a mixing bowl with an electric
mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated
sugar and the 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg; beat until combined.
Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat in as much flour as
you can. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
If necessary, cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until
easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in egg whites, then
in chopped walnuts. Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased
cookie sheets. Press centers with your thumb. Bake in a
375° F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are
lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For filling, beat the 1/4 cup butter until softened. Add
powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in rum or rum
extract and enough milk to make of spreading consistency.
Spoon or pipe about 1/2 teaspoon filling into center of
each cookie. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Makes about 40 cookies
Cookie recipes and more. Looking for holiday cooking recipes?
We have pulled all of our best christmas recipes into one
place. Make Xmas extra special with these recipe ideas and