Candy Cane Swirl Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- In a mixing bowl, beat the shortening and butter for 30
- Add about half of the flour, the sugar, egg, milk, vanilla,
baking soda and salt to beaten mixture. Beat until thoroughly
combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Then, beat
or stir in the remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. Set one portion aside. To the remaining
portion, knead in the peppermint extract and the food coloring.
- To shape dough, roll out each portion of dough between
2 sheets of waxed paper to form a 12x11-inch rectangle.
Remove top sheet of waxed paper from plain and pink doughs.
Invert plain dough on top of pink dough. Peel off top sheet
of paper. From the long side, roll up, jelly-roll style,
removing bottom sheet of paper as you roll. Cut roll in
half, crosswise. Wrap and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Cut dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place 2 inches apart
on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375° F oven
for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms
are lightly browned. Remove cookies and cool on wire rack.
Makes about 60 cookies
Swirl Cookie recipes and more. Looking for holiday cooking
recipes? We have pulled all of our best christmas recipes
into one place. Make Xmas extra special with these recipe
ideas and more.