Christmas is loved by millions of people all over the world. Why not try to break a record while you are baking Christmas cookies or folding paper angels? Here is a list of some amazing Christmas records.
1. Biggest selling christmas song is Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” The song was written by Sir Bob Geldof, and sold fifty million copies and continues to be a holiday favorite today!
2. The world’s largest gift was the Statue of Liberty. The people of France gave it to the US in 1886. It’s 151 feet, 1 inch high and weighs 225 tonnes.
3. The most valuable Christmas card was sold at an auction in Devizes, Wiltshire, UK in 2001 for £20,000 (approx. $40.000). The card was originally sent by Sir Henry Cole of Bath to his grandmother in 1843!
|4. The largest Christmas angel ornament is over 18 feet (5.57 meters) high and over 8 feet wide at the bottom. It’s made out of 2946 beer bottles. The angel was displayed on Alfonso Reyes Avenue, Nuevo Leon, Mexico in January 2000.
5. World’s largest working Christmas cracker is 181 foot, 11 inch long and 11 foot, 9 inch high. It was made in Australia. It was pulled at a shopping center in Sydney, Australia on December 16, 1998.
6. With 3,000 Christmas lights, a towering Eucalyptus regnans, 80 meters (262 ft) tall, became the tallest-ever Christmas tree in the world. This record was set in Tasmania in 1999. Later The Guinness Book of Records has rejected The Wilderness Society’s claim for the world’s tallest Christmas Tree on the grounds that the tree was a eucalypt and not a spruce. “This is a mean-spirited, pedantic snub,” said the Wilderness Society’s Tasmanian Campaign Coordinator, Geoff Law.
7. Every year, the citizens of Gävle Sweden build the world’s largest christmas goat out of straw. This is their Christmas tradition. Unfortunatley for them, almost every year the poor goat gets burned down. Its an 13-metre tall, 7-metre long, 3 tonne goat.
8. Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland is a retail store in Frankenmuth, Michigan that bills itself as the “World’s Largest Christmas Store”. The store has grown to the size of five-and-a-half football fields and is home to over 50000 gifts.
9. Five-hundred-and-nineteen Christmas carollers have braved the New York cold to sing themselves into the Guinness World Records Book. The group has become the largest carol service, breaking the previous record of 517. The singers gathered on the steps of Manhattan’s General Post Office across the street from Madison Square Garden.
10.Forget modern novelists and TV tie-ins, the Bible is the best-selling book every year. The Bible was the first book and is the all-time best selling book with 1 billion copies having been sold.