Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Trees

:tree: Christmas Trees

Does anyone have a true and tried way of keeping the tree alive longer.I make sure it's water but besides that is there something I can add to the water?:

I wish I could help, but I've only had artificial trees. Have you tried google? There may be some sites on live tree care.

---
    ladyice
    icon from pattywack1992 @ LJ

I've had many live trees in my life, but have had artificial trees for at least 7 years now. Over the many years, I have heard and read differing opinions and advice as to whether to add anything and what to add. Some people say add some sugar, some say add this or that. What I read this year was that all of it is malarky and that you should just give it water. Just plain water seems to make the most sense to me. I know trees drink a LOT of water for at least the first few days. Not sure if this helps you at all, but just trying, for whatever it's worth. And of course, some types of trees just last longer than others.

:tree:

I've heard about adding sugar to the water and I think I remember hearing someone say they added aspirin to it to help the tree absorb the water. I just use water and our trees always seem to do fine.

Just found this on GoodHousekeeping.com:
    The secret to making a cut fir stay fresh for weeks is simply good basic care: When you purchase the tree, be sure the seller makes a fresh cut straight across the base of the trunk removing about an inch from the bottom to aid water absorption. As soon as you get the tree home, put it in a stand or sturdy bucket (if you're storing the tree) that's large enough for the trunk and holds at least one gallon of water. Check the water level daily to make sure it covers the cut end of the trunk. Adding sugar or aspirin to the water doesn't do anything, say tree experts. Place the tree away from direct sunlight, fireplaces, wood stoves, and other heat sources. he secret to making a cut fir stay fresh for weeks is simply good basic care: When you purchase the tree, be sure the seller makes a fresh cut straight across the base of the trunk removing about an inch from the bottom to aid water absorption. As soon as you get the tree home, put it in a stand or sturdy bucket (if you're storing the tree) that's large enough for the trunk and holds at least one gallon of water. Check the water level daily to make sure it covers the cut end of the trunk. Adding sugar or aspirin to the water doesn't do anything, say tree experts. Place the tree away from direct sunlight, fireplaces, wood stoves, and other heat sources.
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

I would spray the branches every now and then.

I always just added water and buy early.

we had live trees growing up and we just added water to the tree stand. I now use artificail trees !
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

:tree:

I'm so bah humbug! My Christmas tree is already dead.All the branches are facing south!

Merry Christmas To All And To All A Good Night

Sorry to hear this! Try not to let it ruin the spirit of CHristmas for you and your family!
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tlazer View Post
    I'm so bah humbug! My Christmas tree is already dead.All the branches are facing south!
    I am so sorry to hear that. That happened to a friend years ago. She had it in front of her picture window with the sun beating on it.