Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Exclamation Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Will you watch it? My grandson and his high school marching band will perform!

Concord High School's Marching Minutemen will spend Thanksgiving in New York, as they make the school's seventh trip to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Concord's band, 245 members strong, has been raising money for the trip over the past year, and they have been practicing their Macy's show since the summer. "We knew that as our season progressed that we would be involved with our normal, football field state competition, and Macy's was a separate animal we had to prepare for," said Scott Sprading, the school's Director of Music.

The Minutemen have focused exclusively on the parade over the past couple weeks ever since finishing as runner-up to Greenwood High School in Class B of the State Marching Band Finals at Lucas Oil Stadium. "We were really close to winning a state title, and there was some disappointment on the part of the students there. I wasn't sure how they would respond, but since then, they are gung-ho ready to go to New York," said Spradling.

Spradling says the band had to prepare two songs to play while marching the two-and-a-half mile parade route; they chose "Here Comes Santa Claus" and the Concord school song, which just happens to be the Navy theme "Anchor's Aweigh." For their truncated show in front of the Macy's store that will be televised by NBC, Spradling chose the classic "Journey To The Center Of Your Mind", the only hit song from Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes. The selection didn't go over with a Macy's official at first. "When I said 'we're going to do this tune', he said 'Okay. I'm not sure this is going to work. So, I sent him a recording of the arrangement. As soon as he got it, he said 'okay. I love it," Spradling said.

Concord will be the third band in the Macy's parade lineup - Spradling says their approximate performance time on TV will be 10:20 am.

http://www.wibc.com/news/story.aspx?ID=2078608
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 11-24-2013 at 04:26 AM.

We watch this every year it's been a family tradition for years.

Always watch it Merry. How exciting for your grandson - Quite an honor!! I will keep an eye out for them. What instrument does he play?
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Always watch it Merry. How exciting for your grandson - Quite an honor!! I will keep an eye out for them. What instrument does he play?
    He plays tuba. We may not be able to spot him, but we should see some tubas.

These kids are spending an entire week in New York and will get to see more than I ever did. They'll even go to a Broadway play.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Used to love to watch it as a kid. Not as much anymore. My kids haven't really embraced it yet either. The last couple of years, I put it on but it didn't hold their attention. I'll try again this year.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    Will you watch it? My grandson and his high school marching band will perform!

Concord High School's Marching Minutemen will spend Thanksgiving in New York, as they make the school's seventh trip to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Concord's band, 245 members strong, has been raising money for the trip over the past year, and they have been practicing their Macy's show since the summer. "We knew that as our season progressed that we would be involved with our normal, football field state competition, and Macy's was a separate animal we had to prepare for," said Scott Sprading, the school's Director of Music.

The Minutemen have focused exclusively on the parade over the past couple weeks ever since finishing as runner-up to Greenwood High School in Class B of the State Marching Band Finals at Lucas Oil Stadium. "We were really close to winning a state title, and there was some disappointment on the part of the students there. I wasn't sure how they would respond, but since then, they are gung-ho ready to go to New York," said Spradling.

Spradling says the band had to prepare two songs to play while marching the two-and-a-half mile parade route; they chose "Here Comes Santa Claus" and the Concord school song, which just happens to be the Navy theme "Anchor's Aweigh." For their truncated show in front of the Macy's store that will be televised by NBC, Spradling chose the classic "Journey To The Center Of Your Mind", the only hit song from Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes. The selection didn't go over with a Macy's official at first. "When I said 'we're going to do this tune', he said 'Okay. I'm not sure this is going to work. So, I sent him a recording of the arrangement. As soon as he got it, he said 'okay. I love it," Spradling said.

Concord will be the third band in the Macy's parade lineup - Spradling says their approximate performance time on TV will be 10:20 am.

http://www.wibc.com/news/story.aspx?ID=2078608
    how exciting for him and you!!

that's so exciting
    I don't know where to watch it
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

One day they went shopping instead of going to the 9-11 Memorial --- it was raining. Good news was that they went to the memorial another day. Now they're heading home.

I'm sorry, Snowflake. Maybe there's a video online.

As I watched it and yes the band was just wonderful as this is a must in my own so is the rose parade we never miss it.

I know I told you in a pm, MCD, that I would be watching the parade from Detroit instead but, I ended up watching Macy's. I had forgotten about your grandson being in it, so I'm glad I chose to watch that one.