Thread: How does your town/city decorate for Christmas?

Hybrid View

:light: How does your town/city decorate for Christmas?

What are the Christmas lights like in your town or city? In my hometown, which is Maidstone, UK, our lights were switched on yesterday evening. I can't really say I'm that impressed by our lights. We had a high street redevelopment in 2012, and it's had a bad impact on the town's Christmas lights.

Up until 2011, the lights always looked like this:
    image.jpg

In 2012, they looked, to massive disappointment, like this:
    image.jpg

And in 2013, although a huge improvement from 2012, the lights still leave a lot to the imagination.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

What's it like in your area?
    Last edited by HolidaySeason; 11-16-2013 at 04:58 AM.

Our population is only about 32,000. The stores have clear lights along the roof fronts and the lamp posts have a green wreath with three red candles in the center.

The wreaths are off to the sides of the posts as in this photo; the style of our lamp posts and the red candles look old-fashioned.

Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 11-16-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Our village is quite small - only 3300 people and our main street is a 4 lane road that is one of the major roadways in our area. Needless to say, our town doesn't do too much in the way of decorating. On the 1st Sunday night in December they hold a caroling/tree lighting ceremony. Whoever wants to participate - carols through town as each public tree is illuminated. We start at the Catholic church where we light the tree and nativity, then proceed to a local historical site, to the library, the Methodist church then to the village hall. Snacks and hot beverages are served at village hall
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

This video depicts a private home in our town:

Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 11-17-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Aristotelous christmas.jpg ChristmasThessaloniki.jpg

These are from 2010 decorations.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

Hello

Beautiful Lights, Christmas Tree , christmas bell, candles and much more..

Thanks

The local Rotarians set up a donated tree in the city centre, and the local Business Improvement District pay for a rather unimpressive display of LED lights. IMO they are too small, and too low powered to make much of an impact, but anything is an improvement on the meagre strings of dim CFL bulbs we had to put up with.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

In our town it's something out of a norman Rockwell painting a small town all shops adorned in Christmas,we have our tree lighting which free hot cocoa is made for everyone there are carolers,we have sleighrides,and each shop will give out hoit cocoa and some kind of goody it's really so wonderful there are always activities going on till Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by angelpugs2 View Post
    In our town it's something out of a norman Rockwell painting a small town all shops adorned in Christmas,we have our tree lighting which free hot cocoa is made for everyone there are carolers,we have sleighrides,and each shop will give out hoit cocoa and some kind of goody it's really so wonderful there are always activities going on till Christmas.
    sounds just perfect, angelpugs

it's so nice to read your comments and see photos from all around the world
    my place is with only 1500 people but we decorate, unfortunately I don't have photos

I will try to make photos this year
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*