Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK vs USA most played Christmas records (very interesting!)

:holly: UK vs USA most played Christmas records (very interesting!)

WARNING: Some bad language in this video!

I myself had noticed this as well before coming across this video! In the UK, 95%+ of all Christmas music you hear, every single year, was released in the 1970s or 1980s. With the USA, the 1940s and 1950s seem to be the most popular. (I'm not as militantly against it as this guy is, though, lol!)

interesting, although I'm not a huge fan of either, but given a choice, for me it seems the older the better. To me, the more modern songs are just not Christmas. it isn't enough that a song have lyrics about Christmas. it has to have that Christmas , I don't know...SOMETHING. whatever that is. give me the old carols sung by a good choir any day. I will say that the radio stations here in the US, at least that I've heard that play the 24/7 Christmas music, play the same songs over and over and over and over and over until you get sick of it very quickly, long before Christmas gets here. 20 versions of "let it snow", for example. ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but, you get the point. and he's right; a lot of it's schlock. but, Bing is one of the better things they play, so I disagree with this guy on that, even though I'm not a fan of crooners. When I hear the stations first starting to play Christmas and you hear Bing singing 'white christmas' you know the Christmas season is officially here. And there isn't any 70's, 80's, or more recent Christmas tunes that can compare. I guess it's all just what you are familiar with and what songs you have grown to associate with Christmas.

by the way, almost every song on his UK list, I also hear over and over and over ad nauseum. the only one I was (until recently) unfamiliar with was 'Driving Home for Christmas.'
    Last edited by steph535; 11-10-2013 at 09:27 AM.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    The "something" you are referring to is simple. It's nostalgia. Most people, myself included, tend to get very nostalgic for the years gone by when it comes to Christmas time. As a result, we tend to gravitate towards the older songs we remember our parents and grandparents playing when we were kids. I can't get enough Bing Crosby or Andy Williams...but someone like Mariah Carey or Josh Groban just don't send us back to those magical, wonderful times we celebrate.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    The "something" you are referring to is simple. It's nostalgia. Most people, myself included, tend to get very nostalgic for the years gone by when it comes to Christmas time. As a result, we tend to gravitate towards the older songs we remember our parents and grandparents playing when we were kids. I can't get enough Bing Crosby or Andy Williams...but someone like Mariah Carey or Josh Groban just don't send us back to those magical, wonderful times we celebrate.
    Agreed
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    Mike, you nailed it. exactly right.

Seems as though a lot of narrow paths are being trod upon here.
    I was raised by the WWII generation and consider myself very nostalgic about Christmas.
    I love to listen to Bing,Frank, Dean, Perry,and the countless other tune-smiths of my childhood but I'm a lover of ALL THINGS CHRISTMAS .
    There are many great songs that have hit the airways since 1970 I love it all ,as far as I know only ever heard one song I just couldn't stand.
    My friends Christmas is a time to open up your ears and your minds as well as your hearts so give a listen and enjoy the wonder of it all.
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

I was already familiar with the XKCD Graph about most popular Christmas Songs in the USA. I like the 50's music, decor and traditions. I think that's when Christmas really started to become an important annual family tradition and when we started to carve out what Christmas really is nowadays. (and I was born in the 80s)

Although, I think that having an open mind about newer songs/traditions is fun too! So, I agree with Papa - ALLTHINGSCHRISTMAS!!!
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

By the way - I don't agreed that 95% of all Christmas music played in the US is from the 40's and 50's - not even close! Also what is played on the radio is not really indicative of what most people like - a lot of it is just thrust upon us! I love all Christmas music - just as Papa said
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Well, he was certainly exaggerating more than I would have done. I think the point he was making is that the USA are generally more nostalgic in their choice of Christmas music. In the UK, pretty much every Christmas, it's not just that 95% of songs played are 1970s-1990s, it's that literally not a single one of them were made before that, or at least it's very rare to hear Bing Crosby or any baby-boom generation music. But the interesting thing is that, although we've moved on from the 1940s/50s era, we haven't quite made it out of the 70s and 80s yet, and it's strange how we've just stayed in this era where Christmas music is concerned and never moved on. In some ways, we're also very nostalgic about Christmas music, just about a completely different era.

Personally, I like both American and British Christmas music, so I wouldn't complain either way.

These are my personal favourite UK Christmas songs:

Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas (1975): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7t...er-chris_music
    The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York (1987): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1n...new-york_music
    The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping (1981) (this one is actually American, but played a lot in the UK): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzjDOk_u9I
    Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? (1984): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQzJAKxTrE

I'd be interested to know what people from the USA think of these songs. Do you like them?
    Last edited by HolidaySeason; 11-13-2013 at 07:26 PM.