Thread: Wanting to do something not so traditional for my first outdoor decorations . . .

Wanting to do something not so traditional for my first outdoor decorations . . .

Hello all
    New here to the forum and this is the first year I have the motivation to do more than twinkle lights lining the roof. Halloween is a big thing for us so hubby is never really keen on gearing up for more stuff.
    Anyway, there are numerous people on our street (this is only our third Christmas here) that decorate with lots of lights, inflatables and normal traditional decorations. They are all beautiful, don't get me wrong. But I was thinking of doing a little something different, like turning my house into a giant gingerbread house surrounded by some gingerbread men, penguins and maybe Santa.
    Anyone here have a theme for their decorations?

By the way, I would like to say how happy and excited I am to be here and to learn from all of you!

I'm not up on non-traditional, but I Google search Christmas decorations to see what's on the market. I've seen giant candy canes that can go on either side of the front door.

I'm nostalgic at Christmas, so I love the old big C9 lights along my roof, and a lot of blow molds in my yard. Reminds me of the decorations I saw as a kid. I am begrudgingly making the switch to LED lights...a little bit each year. So...sorry I'm not much help in terms of NON-traditional. However, your gingerbread house sounds like it would be awesome! Maybe you can stick with that theme and add to it every year. Then, kids will always remember the "gingerbread house they always got to go see when they were little"!!!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

I to, do Hallowe'en big and although I don't have a lot of outside decor I do have unique! I made full sized "snoopy doghouse" right from the Christmas special! Ever since I've been wanting to add more from other classic Christmas specials

No theme out5side. I just do lights, wreath, and a few toy soldiers
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Thanks everyone. I understand about the blowmolds and nostalgia. I wish my mom had held onto all of her old ones. I'm thinking plywood, a jigsaw and some paint. I'll start with "icing" frames to go around the windows since I don't have shutters. Then maybe some giant candy canes for the corners of the house, peppermints along the roofline and lollipops to edge the driveway. Other than that I'll do one gingerbread man this year and then add new stuff each year.
    I would love to have a toy soldier on either side of the doorway and all through the inside of the house. But one thing at a time. I'm open to any and all advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerelf View Post
    Thanks everyone. I understand about the blowmolds and nostalgia. I wish my mom had held onto all of her old ones. I'm thinking plywood, a jigsaw and some paint. I'll start with "icing" frames to go around the windows since I don't have shutters. Then maybe some giant candy canes for the corners of the house, peppermints along the roofline and lollipops to edge the driveway. Other than that I'll do one gingerbread man this year and then add new stuff each year.
    I would love to have a toy soldier on either side of the doorway and all through the inside of the house. But one thing at a time. I'm open to any and all advice.
    that sounds awesome, gingerelf! and MMike is right; that would give a lot of kids some happy christmas memories, for sure.

It's funny...I have such wonderful memories of some houses we went and looked at every year when I was young, and yet those people never knew me, or the impact it would have on my love-affair with decorating outside for Christmas! I love, love, LOVE when cars drive by our house and slow way down so the kids in the back can look at everything!!!!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

I have my sketch and my measurements. Now I just have to hit the hardware store for some plywood. Anyone have a truck I can borrow? lol On an interesting note, I was at Goodwill last week and scored 18 plastic candy canes to grace either side of my driveway. They are just over 2 ft tall, half are green and half are red. Perfect candy additions for my gingerbread house AND it only cost me $8 for all of them. The retail price tag stuck on it said they went for $1.22 each in the store. Score!