Thread: Christmas trees and young children

Christmas trees and young children

Hi Everyone,

Was planning my decorations this year so make it enchanting for my little girl (she will be 11 months at Christmas) and i realised my tree is going to go over within 5 mins of Amy setting her sights on it. I normally put it on a coffee table but im thinking of putting it on the floor so i might drag rather than fall? How do you deal with little children with inquisitive hands? Or any ideas? Cant put furniture in front of it.

When I was young, we had a cat who would climb the tree. My parents would attach a rope about mid tree then attach the two ends of the rope to hooks that were placed into the wooden support beams in the walls. This works especially well if the tree is in the corner. Is your tree real or artificial? Artificial trees are much more stable. My children were pretty good about not touching the tree and they were both ten to eleven months old, and walking, at Christmas time. She may be so in awe of it - she may not touch it. Also - you may have to limit the time the tree is up - don';t put it up until mid-December
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I'm so thankful that my baby will only be around 6.5 months when our tree goes up - but I've been thinking ahead to next year and will probably end up getting a safety gate/yard to go around it, since she'll be 1.5yrs next year, and certainly curious.

Here's one I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Metal-P...ds=safety+yard
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    I'm so thankful that my baby will only be around 6.5 months when our tree goes up - but I've been thinking ahead to next year and will probably end up getting a safety gate/yard to go around it, since she'll be 1.5yrs next year, and certainly curious.

Here's one I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Metal-P...ds=safety+yard
    I would wait to see how the child reacts to the tree. I used to place only non-breakable ornaments on the bottom of the tree and my better ornaments near the top. I would also wrap the metal hangers of these prized ornaments very securely to the tree and the ornament. My kids loved to touch the ornaments on the bottom and they were touchable ones, but they never pulled on the tree or tried to knock it over. Chantelle, at a year and a half she is old enough where you can reason a bit with her. You could even "enlist" her help in taking care of the tree. Some kids are very touchy feely with everything ( I was that way as a baby) and others "look with their eyes and not their hands". I had a tree fall over once. We were spending Christmas away and were gone for 3 days. When we got home, the tree had fallen (no pets, no kids) From then on, we tied the tree to the wall until one year we decided to go with an artificial one and never had that problem again.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Thanks for the suggestions.

We have an artificial tree and lots of cheap baubles, might keep the non replaceable ones off this year. I have brought a tree skirt so hopefully the wires and stand will be safe from her.

The only thing I remember about our oldest child's first Christmas was that on Christmas morning she thought the torn off wrapping paper was heaven! I used shatterproof ornaments for a couple of years. She was nine months old on her first Christmas.

only one out of my five really bothered with the tree. my oldest son, twice ran over to the tree and crushed a glass ornament in his hand. I should have removed them after the first time, but I had thought since he cut his hand doing it the first time, that that would be a deterrent. It wasn't. after that, I bought plastic ones to hang within his reach.

Well, my ornaments were similar to these:

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    only one out of my five really bothered with the tree. my oldest son, twice ran over to the tree and crushed a glass ornament in his hand. I should have removed them after the first time, but I had thought since he cut his hand doing it the first time, that that would be a deterrent. It wasn't. after that, I bought plastic ones to hang within his reach.
    We had a child like that! The Christmas tree wasn't the problem though. She just didn't understand natural consequences. She burned her hand once at age two and tried to do it again!