Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Early Is Too Early?

Hybrid View

How Early Is Too Early?

So I'm curious if any of you think that there is such a time as too early to start playing Christmas music during the holiday season? A lot of people seem to think it is offensive to veterans to play it before November 11, but I'm not completely sure I agree with that. Anybody else have an idea of when the perfect time is to start playing the holiday tunes?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/shopper...rily-1.1023072
    I wish you a hopeful Christmas
    I wish you a brave New Year
    All anguish pain and sadness
    Leave your heart and let your road be clear

I did not even know, until very recently, that some people are offended if Christmas music is played before Veterans' Day (Remembrance Day in Canada.) I understand that veterans should be given proper respect, but I do not understand why anyone would get upset if Christmas music is played earlier. Let's suppose I officially start my Christmas season (music and all) before Veterans' Day. I still respect and am extremely grateful to our veterans. How does listening to or playing Christmas music negate that?

Since I love Christmas and Christmas music so much, I love it when I hear it somewhat early in a store ; it makes me feel happy
    , even though I might think it's too early to start playing at home. November 1st is the earliest I would want to hear it played in a store, though. I can understand why some people would not want it played, though, until December or after Thanksgiving (in the US) if they are looking at it from the aspect that, to the company, it is a way of trying to get people to buy, so it is just part of the commercialization of Christmas, which is NOT what Christmas is about.

I think, as far as what is considered too early to play Christmas music, there will be varying opinions. When I was a child, I loved it so much, that I would start singing carols in September, much to the irritation of some of my family. My mother then made a rule there would be no Christmas music, or singing of carols until 10 days before Christmas. Since I've been on my own, I officially begin right after Thanksgiving, (although I do a little bit of sneaking before that.) So, I guess I would say, here in the US, the best time to start would be then, but I don't think it's wrong to begin whenever you want. But, if you do, be prepared to get some unwanted and negative comments and opinions.

I have always been of the belief that Christmas music was comforting. As a veteran (and I am sure many will back me up), I listened to a lot of Christmas music while I was over seas and away from my loved ones during the holidays. As a matter of fact, the "Army Christmas" stories tend to outlive all other vet stories -- we all remember the terrible food, the thrown together tree, and the one bottle of beer they let us drink (!!)

There is no reason you can't honor your country's servicemen and women while playing Bing Crosby (<-- who did as much as any entertainer for the troops during WWII). As a veteran of Iraqi Freedom and the War on Terror, I can say to you that I am no offended if you like to listen to Christmas music early, I like to also!

"I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Usually wait until at least midway through November. I love christmas as much as the next person but it is important to leave the end part of the year for christmas..that way it feels more special...and you get the feeling...yeah christmas is upon us.

Well up here in Calgary Alberta Canada we just got a large dump of snow and it is hard not to listen to Christmas music when it looks the season but I have not listen to anyChristmas music at home with my girls (6,8 and 14) for a two reasons...Remembrance Day and its my 6yr olds Birthday today and I don't want to over shadow such events and to show my kids the respect the Veterans deserve. ...that being said I have put Christmas music on in the car!

It's a bit like seeing a Santa's grotto in August, some things are just too far ahead of their time! But I think late November onward is about the right time to have christmas music to get 'in the mood'. The exception ( and some of you may find this controversial) is in stores, where in my opinion, piped music of any kind should never be played. Perhaps it's just me as visually-impaired person relying on my hearing as an early warning of others being nearby, but being so 'switched-on' all the time, and having music enforced on me, annoys me no end, I feel so patronised by it that I choose to shop in 'silent' stores. Music is such a personal choice that it shouldn't be imposed upon others regardless, and especially not as a crass, crude tool to try to 'soothe' people ito a more suggestable frame of mind.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    It's a bit like seeing a Santa's grotto in August, some things are just too far ahead of their time! But I think late November onward is about the right time to have christmas music to get 'in the mood'. The exception ( and some of you may find this controversial) is in stores, where in my opinion, piped music of any kind should never be played. Perhaps it's just me as visually-impaired person relying on my hearing as an early warning of others being nearby, but being so 'switched-on' all the time, and having music enforced on me, annoys me no end, I feel so patronised by it that I choose to shop in 'silent' stores. Music is such a personal choice that it shouldn't be imposed upon others regardless, and especially not as a crass, crude tool to try to 'soothe' people ito a more suggestable frame of mind.
    Mole I hate to disagree, but I love to hear Christmas music playing softly in the background. It makes me want to sing a-long! I can understand why you feel the way you do though. Last year I had a temporary vision problem which made it very difficult to get around!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

And there is the effect of piped music on the staff of it all to consider. This organisation tries to combat piped music...

http://www.pipedown.info/
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

its never too early to play christmas music !!!!

I would say not till after Thanksgiving, one holiday at a time please!!