Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Radio stations that switch to Holiday format..

Local Radio stations that switch to Holiday format..

Soon enough the local radio stations will start playing non-stop Christmas music .. one of the many milestones to me of the upcoming season. I know that we all pretty much have Christmas Music on demand from sites like YouTube, Pandora, or the various internet radio stations but once it starts coming over the broadcast radio is when I really become excited.

I suppose it is something like catching "A Christmas Story" or "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown" on TV even though I own it on DVD. I feel like I have to watch it and its just that much better than popping in the movie.

Lite FM 106.7 New York normally switches over to their All-Holiday Music format the weekend before Thanksgiving which this year will probably be around November 17th and I wait on bated breath.

How about you guys? Any Stations make the switch in your neck of the woods? When?
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

There is a local station that switched right after Thanksgiving, I don't remember the call letters. It makes me feel excited and in the Christmas spirit when it starts playing and, this is going to sound a bit odd, considering I just said how great it makes me feel, but I actually don't listen to it a lot, because they play the same things over and over, ad nauseum, and mostly pop Christmas songs. I am not a real fan of them, and not a big fan of the classics, generally, BUT I do enjoy a small selection of the classics, such as Nat King Cole's "the Christmas Song" and Andy William's "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year." Bing Crosby's "White Christmas," among others. Of course, even hearing these can get old, because, like I said, this station plays them many times a day. I really wish there was a station that would play classical Christmas music 24/7 but, alas, I'm lucky to find any classical Christmas songs being playing, period, let alone a whole station devoted to it for the Christmas season.

I live in Dayton, OH, we have Lite 94.5 FM, last year they switched on November 1st. They don't announce what day they're switching over until just before they actually make the switch to the holiday format. Typically they give everyone a 2-3 day warning. As of now they haven't made any announcements, so we're just waiting. I agree though, it really is a sign that the season is upon us.

I hear you Steph, it seems that every modern pop'y musican is out there making a Christmas Album and they tend to be hit or miss. Because of this, though, you tend to get flooded with modern Christmas music. I still like to have the radio playing as the DJs will sometimes tell you stuff you didnt know about the song or holiday, something you don't get from an internet radio playlist.

Yeah Polr, they don't have a specific start date but its generally been the weekend before Thanksgiving. The station's website currently has three all Christmas playlist part of their "iHeartRadio' that is only available online right now (http://www.1067litefm.com/cc-common/seasonal/holiday/ ---> xmaslites, Christmas country, and a miscellaneous)

They have been hinting on-air that it has been coming but have yet to set a concrete date.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by polrwht07 View Post
    I live in Dayton, OH, we have Lite 94.5 FM, last year they switched on November 1st. They don't announce what day they're switching over until just before they actually make the switch to the holiday format. Typically they give everyone a 2-3 day warning. As of now they haven't made any announcements, so we're just waiting. I agree though, it really is a sign that the season is upon us.
    we will be spending Christmas and New Years' at my sister's home in Dayton. I hope there will be some snow. Can't wait!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    Lite FM 106.7 New York normally switches over to their All-Holiday Music format the weekend before Thanksgiving which this year will probably be around November 17th and I wait on bated breath.
    I pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. I heard an advertisement on 106.7 New York that they were switching over to the Christmas format starting Friday (the 16th) at Noon. The season is upon us! It is the only station in the NYC area I know of that does this but if anyone knows more than I will be happy to hear them.

Anyword from the rest of the Country/World?

there is only one station that switches to all Christmas music in my area and, so far, they have not announced when they will make the switch. I looked up their website and there is no information about it. It will certainly be within the next 6 days, though. I love it at first, but grow tired of it since they play the same things over and over and over, many times a day. But, at first it's exciting and I'm looking forward to cranking up the volume.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    We had one station start last Monday. Another started last night! Now I have 2 choices!! WOOHOO!!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Smile

The only station around here that goes all-Christmass is Joplin's 93.9, which until this year was a "Lite Rock" station. They switched to "Classic Hits" earlier in the year and I was very afraid they might not go to all-Christmass this year.

I was very relieved yesterday to hear them announce they were switching over to it Thursday night. I love it! And in previous years, at least, they've had a pretty good variety. I hope it stays that way. There's something special about being able to just turn on the radio and knowing I'll hear something seasonal!

Now if I'd be lucky enough to have some snow...

KOSI 101.1 fm in denver