Thread: No More Halloween!

No More Halloween!

Only five children came to my house. I just dumped half of the candy that I bought into the trash, because no one will eat it. I could put the rest in the trash and no one would miss it. Next year I'll leave the porch light off and no one will come to door, so I won't need any candy at all. Part of the reason that no one comes is because I'm the only person on the street who gives out candy. All the other porch lights are off. Granted, the street ends in cul de sac; but I think there are about fifteen houses on it.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

We have lived in our current apartment complex, which is pretty small, for about 3 years now. It seems most of the people here do not participate. In our former neighborhood, more than half did not participate. We have not taken part in Halloween for years, and keep the porch light off and even though there are very few kids here that go door to door, they still knock on our door because parents don't seem to teach their children any more to only go to residences that have the light on. And when I say very few kids go trick-or-treating here, I mean less than 5. This year, we had 3 knocks on our door. I only answered the first one because it was only maybe 5:30 and I had temporarily forgotten it was Halloween and wouldn't have expected anyone to come that early. I felt bad telling the small girl, who was dressed up beautifully as a princess, that we weren't giving out any candy. It isn't as if there are a bunch taking part here and only 3 came to our door, because we would hear them outside, but it's silent.

frostythesnowman is offline LOCKED (Account Delete Requested)
    i had over 70 kids at my door.....it was the best halloween ever.....it was a great night for trick r treating!

Well have to say I was disappointed after all the effort of my Halloween sweetie bags I made.......and no-one turned up...

003 (4).jpg
    Merry Christmas to all...

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    ...... Part of the reason that no one comes is because I'm the only person on the street who gives out candy. All the other porch lights are off. Granted, the street ends in cul de sac; but I think there are about fifteen houses on it.
    Same here .... No one else in our cul-de-sac answers the door. In Australia like the UK, Halloween is not as huge as in North America but I always get candy for the kids though I don't decorate like when I lived in Canada.

It seems that there is an unwritten code much like your 'porch lights on/off' but since it doesn't get dark until late here at this time of the year, it would seem that if the outside of the house isn't decorated no one comes ...... still we had two 'door knocks' (about a dozen kids in total) came to the door this year !!

A few streets away there is an American couple and their decorations were fabulous ...... needless to say they were inundated with kids .... Next year maybe I'll decorate the front door...... just maybe !!

We only had the 2 kids who live across the street. We only get kids on our street and they are the youngest two right now! We live way up a hill-on a dead end - so mno one makes the effort anymore. When my girls were young, we had about 30 kids - our street was loaded with children then!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas