Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beware the Frankenstorm!

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    It was a lot bigger than any of us had expected. Sadly, the shore (vacation) house we own in Belmar was destroyed. I haven't even had a chance to head down there and with lines for gasoline stretching over a mile (waited 4 hours yesterday for $20 dollars worth of fuel) I think I am gonna be conserving gas for a while. On the home front we moving along. The power was out for about 4 days and the house is a little beat up but it will all come back together soon enough.

Terrible terrible situation all around.
    so sorry you had to go through all that and are still suffering ramifications of the storm, Fezziwig. I'm glad that you and your family are ok, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjakeqcool View Post
    It rained and no one came to my door to trick or treat *sigh*, Frankenstorm? Go figure...
    disappointing, for sure but then I'd rather be in that situation than to have actually suffered through Sandy, and it's aftermath.

SnowAngel ......... good to hear that you are fine.

Fezziwig ... sorry to hear about your vacation home but thank goodness you're okay.

Hope other posters in the New York area are okay. Has Ornamentmaven checked in? A lot of people are still without power ... I still haven't heard from an Uncle who lives there.

Still no power to lots of homes, petrol rationing and queues and now looters in Rockaway !!

Click....... Still haven't heard from my relatives.

Hope all is well with OM ....

Horrible storm, the worst ever to hit our area. The Jersey Shore and Long Island were hit very hard. A resulting, hugh fire destroyed 100 homes in Queens. Gas lines everywhere. It is amazing that some areas had no damage or outages, while others were decimated.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Thanks, Steph

The Governor of my State started up fuel rationing the other day and it seems like the long lines are starting to lower. The rationing, for those curious, are odd and even days. A standard American license plate would be like G0H-T4G, as the last numerical digit is 4, an even number, you would get fuel on an even day (the 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc of the month) So basically it cut the number of people eligible to get fuel on a given day in half. The lines are still long but manageable (still about an HOUR wait!)

We still have yet to head to the shore to inspect the damage but my mother spoke with a neighbor of ours down there and it sounds like the shore house has to be demolished. I have held out hope that it could be repaired, my brother-in-law and I we construction contractors, but it isn't looking good. We are waiting for insurance adjusters to head down there and see what can be done, unfortunately we are not eligible for FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) money as the house is not a primary residence.

I really hope the Christmas spirit hits this area .. we could use it.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Hope everything works out for you Fezziwig
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    Thanks, Steph

The Governor of my State started up fuel rationing the other day and it seems like the long lines are starting to lower. The rationing, for those curious, are odd and even days. A standard American license plate would be like G0H-T4G, as the last numerical digit is 4, an even number, you would get fuel on an even day (the 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc of the month) So basically it cut the number of people eligible to get fuel on a given day in half. The lines are still long but manageable (still about an HOUR wait!)

We still have yet to head to the shore to inspect the damage but my mother spoke with a neighbor of ours down there and it sounds like the shore house has to be demolished. I have held out hope that it could be repaired, my brother-in-law and I we construction contractors, but it isn't looking good. We are waiting for insurance adjusters to head down there and see what can be done, unfortunately we are not eligible for FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) money as the house is not a primary residence.

I really hope the Christmas spirit hits this area .. we could use it.
    I hope things get better for you, fezziwig......
    Merry Christmas to all...