Thread: Lost Christmas TV & Movies

Hybrid View

Question Lost Christmas TV & Movies

Do you remember a favorite Christmas TV show or movie that has never made it to DVD?

I'm nearly seventy, and I'm coming to accept that I may never see those shows again, as much as I'd like to.

Here's a few of them that are at the top of my list:

1. "The Dancing Tree" with Tommy Rettig

2. Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory with Geraldine Page

3. Will it Snow for Christmas (A French film, not to be confused with the Korean TV series of the same title)

4. Amahl and the Night Visitors with Kurt Yaghjian

5. The Adventures of Uncle Mistletoe

What's on your list?
    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

you can get Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory" with Geraldine Page on dvd on Amazon for just under $23. I couldn't find any of the others on dvd. and I had never heard of any of them except "Amahl and the Night Visitors." I heard that one a few times many years ago on a classical radio station in Detroit and always hated it because I thought the music was just so ugly and thought it sounded like they were making it up as they went along. In searching for the other titles on your list, it was interesting to find out that "The Adventures of Uncle Mistletoe" was one Marshall Fields way of trying to compete with Montgomery Wards' "Rudolph." I can't think of anything that I watched as a child at Christmas time that hasn't come out on dvd but, we didn't watch that much. Rudolph, the Little Drummer Boy, and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" are about the only ones I remember getting to watch.

Have you ever watched a stage version of Amahl, as opposed to a filmed one? There are so many cities that have annual productions.