Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your favorite Christmas Album or Compilation?

It has to be the Time-Life Christmas collection
    220px-Time_Life_Treasury_of_Christmas_cover.jpg

I know there have been multiple versions of this through the years, but I am referring to the album that came out in the late-70s. It had an amazing array of music and artists. Some of my favorite songs even today come from hearing this album as a child.
    http://www.allthingschristmas.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19786&dateline=132203  4169

:snow:

Wow, it's hard to pin it down to even a few! Any really great version of Handel's "Messiah", The Carpenters "Christmas Portrait", several of the early 1960s Columbia/Goodyear "Great Songs of Christmas" (various artists) albums, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir albums.

I think for its amazing quality and sheer variety, I'd have to say "Christmas Portrait" gets my vote. Everything from traditional hymns to the more lighthearted things, and I never seem to tire of it.

Hard to pick a favorite but I love the Ray Conniff "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" album.

Anything by andy williams and bing crosby are great as well

Quote Originally Posted by Santa57 View Post
    Wow, it's hard to pin it down to even a few! Any really great version of Handel's "Messiah", The Carpenters "Christmas Portrait", several of the early 1960s Columbia/Goodyear "Great Songs of Christmas" (various artists) albums, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir albums.

I think for its amazing quality and sheer variety, I'd have to say "Christmas Portrait" gets my vote. Everything from traditional hymns to the more lighthearted things, and I never seem to tire of it.
    Handel's "Messiah" is definitely a favorite of mine; I have 4 different recordings, so far. What version(s) is/are your favorite(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    Handel's "Messiah" is definitely a favorite of mine; I have 4 different recordings, so far. What version(s) is/are your favorite(s)?
    Oh, I wish I knew! The only version I have on CD is by the London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir. It's surprisingly good, I think, considering it was only $8 or so. And I think all I have on LP is various excerpts from it. But I wish I had (or knew of) a version which had more of those beautiful instrumentals clearly coming through along with the vocals. Do you know of one exceptionally great version?