Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1454596061626364656667686974 ... LastLast

Thread: Plans for the Weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    My son and I will most likely been putting the tree up and maybe the nativity. you would think we would be thrilled, since we love Christmas and all the decorations but our dislike for the hassle is almost as great as our love for the finished product. Many would agree that putting the lights on a tree is the worst part. So, we have a prelit tree, and it is beautiful but, we like a lot of lights so we have to add some. and since I like lights close to the trunk, it is a major pain in the rear. I would like to be able to just say, let's not add any this year, the tree is beautiful the way it is, and leave it at that. but, no, I will sit here staring at the tree and it will drive me insane knowing that it could look even better if we put the extra lights on. and it's even harder to add lights to a prelit tree, especially when you are trying to put them deeper inside the tree, because all those wires are in the way. I can't say how much I admire all the people who can get their tree and house all decorated within a day or two. but, I have to get it done because I couldn't bear to just not put it up at all. It takes me a very long time because I don't have the stamina I once did, I get frustrated very easily, and I am too much a perfectionist.
    I hope you manage to get it done, steph.. I can't imagine not having anything up either. It did take us, well, hubby nearly 2 weeks for ours.
    That is the longest time ever, used to do it in a couple of day.....not any more..
    Merry Christmas to all...

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell2 View Post
    I hope you manage to get it done, steph.. I can't imagine not having anything up either. It did take us, well, hubby nearly 2 weeks for ours.
    That is the longest time ever, used to do it in a couple of day.....not any more..
    I'm afraid now that it probably won't get put up. My son started it Saturday, the tree comes in three sections (it's 7 or 7 1/2') and he got the bottom section in and shaped some of the branches. (I had forgotten all about that we have to shape them and that is a major undertaking, also). there has always been one of the lower boughs that has been bent and part of it sits on the floor; we can't fix it, and now he found two more bottom boughs that are like that. I did manage to fix one of them, so far (just can't fix the one that was originally bent) and, anyway, neither of us want to bother with the whole thing, so, there the tree sits, with very little done to it. I keep looking at it and trying to talk myself into working on it, which I did a little yesterday, arranged more branches. I wish I cared a lot more. instead of thinking how beautiful it will be, I think of all the work it will be to take it down when we come back from my sister's after New Years. it will depress me to have to just put it away, yet I can't seem to face all it will take to put it up. I wish my son would be enthusiastic about it and just happily work on it; then maybe I would catch some of his Christmas spirit and join in. but, that's totally not realistic and it's not his responsibility to get me motivated. but, I can't do it alone, and unless he changes his mind and helps on it more, I can't see it getting done. but, on a happier note, I WILL help my sister on her tree and decorations when we go up for Thanksgiving! (unbeknownst to her, of course)

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I'm definitely confused. Why is it such an undertaking to put up a Christmas tree??
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    I'm definitely confused. Why is it such an undertaking to put up a Christmas tree??
    LOL, Mike, most normal people would be confused. within the last couple years, my stamina has waned, for one thing; since I had my car accident; plus there are a TON of branches on each bough and all have to be arranged. it's not just 'fluffing' as I have seen people put over the years. I can get several boughs done, then have to sit for a while. I'm not old, by any means, but I am definitely not young, either. and there isn't anyone here that loves Christmas as much as I do or did, or is enthusiastic about helping and I make it worse for myself because I am obsessive about it having to be near perfect, if not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    I'm afraid now that it probably won't get put up. My son started it Saturday, the tree comes in three sections (it's 7 or 7 1/2') and he got the bottom section in and shaped some of the branches. (I had forgotten all about that we have to shape them and that is a major undertaking, also). there has always been one of the lower boughs that has been bent and part of it sits on the floor; we can't fix it, and now he found two more bottom boughs that are like that. I did manage to fix one of them, so far (just can't fix the one that was originally bent) and, anyway, neither of us want to bother with the whole thing, so, there the tree sits, with very little done to it. I keep looking at it and trying to talk myself into working on it, which I did a little yesterday, arranged more branches. I wish I cared a lot more. instead of thinking how beautiful it will be, I think of all the work it will be to take it down when we come back from my sister's after New Years. it will depress me to have to just put it away, yet I can't seem to face all it will take to put it up. I wish my son would be enthusiastic about it and just happily work on it; then maybe I would catch some of his Christmas spirit and join in. but, that's totally not realistic and it's not his responsibility to get me motivated. but, I can't do it alone, and unless he changes his mind and helps on it more, I can't see it getting done. but, on a happier note, I WILL help my sister on her tree and decorations when we go up for Thanksgiving! (unbeknownst to her, of course)
    Oh, steph, I do know what your saying I have 4 grown ups and they are not really Christmas motivated, they have never helped at all. The livingroom took 2 weeks to decorate
    from start to finish it is a three section, individual branches to ' fluff' as you say and it 8ft, and another week or so for the kitchen and hallway. As I've recently been diagnosed with an inflammatory arthritis and it's quite advanced I have had to do
    things so slowly, and sleep never done so much and feeling tired all the time. I missed it last year as I was so bad but we didn't know what we were dealing with then.
    I hope you get some motivation...

Thanksgiving preps and more leaf raking (we had a big wind storm and my lawn is full of my neighbor's leaves again!!!)
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Just going to be chillin' and NOT going to think about Monday and my first injection...

It's a working weekend - so much to do in preparation for Thanksgiving and Christmas
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

This weekend Im gonna do some Christmas gift shopping, as, prices always go double, when Christmas days aprroach...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

Just going to relax and enjoy the weekend watch Christmas movies and enjoy my tree and my décor a restful weekend.