Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adult Children Living with Parents

Mike, they are reacting as most parents would, It's natural to always want to protect your children and help in anyway possible. Your sister and her husband should be helping with expenses without a doubt - anything would be better than nothing. I certainly hope your parents don't allow them to continue living there rent free! That would be the WORST thing for everyone involved.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Well...now assuming the sale goes through for the house they are buying in Las Vegas, they are already planning to let them stay in the old house if they pay rent and utilities. Well, everyone involved knows they won't be able to come up with enough money without getting jobs. It won't matter though. If I ask, my parents would just tell me they are paying them. So, the lesson here is that if you slack off long enough, you get a free house.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    Well...now assuming the sale goes through for the house they are buying in Las Vegas, they are already planning to let them stay in the old house if they pay rent and utilities. Well, everyone involved knows they won't be able to come up with enough money without getting jobs. It won't matter though. If I ask, my parents would just tell me they are paying them. So, the lesson here is that if you slack off long enough, you get a free house.
    I've heard that lesson before. A very good friend of mine is married with three children. She had two unmarried brothers who never left home. When her parents died about 7 years ago, she was 50 and her brother's were 49 and 47. Her parents left EVERYTHING to the two boys just because they weren't married! She was devastated!~
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I live with my parents and grandpa and granny. My parents live with them since they got married but I think this was so normal before.People around us live with parents too.They stayed with my grandpa and granny because before we lived in bigger house and I am sure they didn't thought they will live all life with them. When I was litlle this was so great for me and for my parents because they could normally go to work and someone was taking care of me. I was always surrounded with familliar people and always had breakfast,lunch and everything what I needed. They were always here for me when my parents couldn't so I think this was and still is good think.Of course I wont live with my parents but for younger children this is very good.
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

Well, after a week and a half we have finally finished moving the kids in. Phewwww
    it's took a lot of hard work trying to fit two households into one little house. But we've
    made it.. Kids have settled in lovely and we're enjoying them being
    Merry Christmas to all...

Smile

well at least that's done now you can relax a little bit.Enjoy your day fear friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    We invited my parents over last Saturday for the day. We had a long talk about how my sister and her family staying there has negatively impacted us. We basically hashed out all the ill feelings and now I think we will be able to move past it. I am especially encouraged that my parents' plan is to move to Vegas by May or June. They already told my sister and her husband that they will be required to pay rent, otherwise they will need to sell the house here. There's a lot more to the story, but it's not really all that interesting.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

We invited my parents over last Saturday for the day. We had a long talk about how my sister and her family staying there has negatively impacted us. We basically hashed out all the ill feelings and now I think we will be able to move past it. I am especially encouraged that my parents' plan is to move to Vegas by May or June. They already told my sister and her husband that they will be required to pay rent, otherwise they will need to sell the house here. There's a lot more to the story, but it's not really all that interesting.
    For all it's worth I think you're right to feel the way you feel.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

My biggest problem is that it has damaged the relationship between MY family and my parents. There is this massive feeling of inequality that I have a hard time dealing with. They are basically getting a free ride, and making no significant attempt to improve their situation and get out. My parents are not willing to put them "out on the street", but I feel they are taking advantage of the situation.
    I feel for you. Parents have to make a lot of decisions and often make the wrong ones. My mother, for instance, is an enabler and we tried to explain that to her, but she wouldn't listen. Yet I know it's hard for her to let go.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Oh, no! How many times will they have to be negligent in paying the rent before your parents put the house up for sale?