Thread: It's three kings day

Post It's three kings day

Camels? Trinket-filled ring cakes? Troupes of guitar-wielding neighbors

Who Celebrates Three Kings Day? What's with the Camels?!

Camels? Trinket-filled ring cakes? Troupes of guitar-wielding neighbors knocking a ?
    Three Kings Day (or “El Día de los Reyes Magos”) is celebrated on January 6, or the Epiphany, which marks the day when Catholics believe The Three Wise Men delivered gifts of frankincense, myrrh and gold to the baby Jesus.
    In Latino immigrant neighborhoods, some Christmas trees are still up, waiting for this last marker of the holiday season. Bakeries have been churning out Rosca de Reyes, doughnut-shaped pastries that contain a hidden plastic baby Jesus, meant to be consumed surrounded by family. Parades feature live camels and Latino kids with plastic crowns, who march down major urban avenues with their parents watching on proudly. And the evening of January 5th, those same kids leave an empty shoe outside for the Kings or put a box of grass, corn, or other camel food under their beds,
    expecting to wake up to some small token.

Three Kings Day marks the Epiphany, when Catholics believe wise men Melchior, Caspar and Balthasar visited the Christ child .

“I grew up in Venezuela, and my family would always meet for a big lunch, followed by the Rosca. Whoever found the plastic Baby Jesus was declared the winner,” says a mother of four young kids now living in Connecticut. “Today I think that cake idea is a choking hazard and lawsuit waiting to happen. I would love to incorporate the Three Kings, but I’m too busy and I don’t want to be crippled by consumerism.”

Last edited by mina553; 01-07-2012 at 03:53 AM.
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

A long time family friend called me today ... he recently moved back to the USA after living in Spain for 18 years ....

He was telling me all about this day of "The Three Kings" in Spain ... he said it is a very significant day perhaps moreso than Christmas Day ... part of the tradition and culture and all about the carnival atmosphere ..

And here I was .... trying to put away all the decorations !!!!!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I've never even even heard of it.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

they leave grass in their empty shoes 4 the weary camels & bake a play baby in their cakes , very cute
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    I've never even even heard of it.
    Same with me, but interesting
    www.carolinapanthercoalition.com

- St. Luke ii.

Celebrated in Mexico ...... so surprised that some people in the USA aren't aware of it ........