Thread: Atheists nudge out Nativity scenes , On California coast

Thumbs down Atheists nudge out Nativity scenes , On California coast

A creche stands in Santa Monica, California, where atheists have legally occupied space normally used for Nativity scenes.

• For 60 years, creches occupied 14 of 21 exhibit spaces in a Santa Monica park
    • This year, atheists win 18 of the 21 spaces and leave half of the 18 blank
    • Church groups contend the atheists have unfairly taken over the display space

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Every Christmas for the past 60 years, Nativity scenes have dominated two blocks of a park on bluffs overlooking the ocean in Santa Monica, California.
    The 14 scenes depicting Jesus Christ's birth have long been a popular attraction among area residents and tourists to the southern California city.
    This year, however, atheists have taken over most of the two-block stretch, nearly shutting out and angering a group of churches who contend the atheists have organized against the Christians and gamed a city lottery process allocating the holiday exhibit space.
    In response, a leader of the atheist group says he's just looking for evenhanded treatment to present his beliefs in a public space -- and goes so far as to say that the city shouldn't even be allowing any religious or even atheist expression in the park.
    That's why he and his group have put nothing on half of the park exhibit spaces that they've secured from the city this year.
    The atheists are declaring the politically left-leaning seaside town of Santa Monica as their latest battleground in a national movement to assert their rights
    Last edited by ChantelleJoy; 12-23-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: There is no need for your font to be the largest size, edited to smaller font.
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

There are at least two types of atheists: the live-and-let-live type and the war-on-Christianity type.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    There are at least two types of atheists: the live-and-let-live type and the war-on-Christianity type.
    Indeed! The same could be said about Christians ('war on Atheism' though, obviously).
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    Indeed! The same could be said about Christians ('war on Atheism' though, obviously).
    True. I can think of several "Christians" I know who make it their purpose to get preachy to members of the family who aren't "on board" with their faith.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    I agree...but sometimes I wonder if all who claim to be Christians, really are.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    True. I can think of several "Christians" I know who make it their purpose to get preachy to members of the family who aren't "on board" with their faith.
    I agree. Those people act as if another person's conversion depends upon them and then forget that Christianity isn't something you force down the other person's throat.

Yes, I still like my avatar that Pumpkin Jack posted here awhile back.

Good will toward men!

M<any people are Christian in name only!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    M<any people are Christian in name only!
    The ironic part is that a few of the people I know who think they have the strongest faith are the ones who are always so judgmental of others. I find that behavior very un-Christianlike.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Constant criticism of others ought to remind Christians of Matthew 7:12:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

I apologize if I've offended anyone here. And I hope everyone is enjoying this time between Christmas Day and New Year's Day.