Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got mildly depressed today...

Hybrid View

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

Unhappy I got mildly depressed today...

I went in to Menard's, and they are already clearing out the Christmas decorations. The area was about cut in half, and they already took down all the sample light strings that were hanging from the ceiling. My stomach sank as I was faced with the reality that the holidays will disappear as quickly as they came.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Hobby Lobby is minus a lot of Christmas stock, too. They have very few Christmas cards left, and not many boxed ornaments. And they're putting out the spring decorations!

I don't want Christmas to be over!

Walmart's Xhristmas section was devoured on Black Friday. They still have wrapping paper and bows - but few lights and ornaments!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Yeah...I've noticed everywhere I have gone that the selection of Christmas LIGHTS is extremely picked-over. I wonder if stores just opted to stock less this year, or if that many more people actually purchased new lights. It kind of puts a damper on my plan to stock up for next year's yard display after Christmas!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I remember when I was living in Toronto. Simpsons (Now the Bay) used to do a huge Christmas section on one of the top floors. I used to love to go up there and just look. All the sections were themed to the style of decorations. Once around this time of year I was really not feeling the season at all, so I thought I would go check out the Christmas section at Simpsons. What a disappointment. It was a shadow of what it had been just a few weeks before. They had already started taking the displays down and what was left was a disorganized mess.Needless to say it didn't put me in a festive mood.

Ditto........

Someone else from my hone town
    JollyElfDC. I have spent a lot of money at that particular Bay store over the years

I am doing my best to try and enjoy the week leading up to Christmas as well as trying to take everything in. I have to admit that in my effort to decorate for the holidays that I do not have the time to appreciate everything...
    Last edited by Crazymike1965; 12-18-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    Hobby Lobby is minus a lot of Christmas stock, too. They have very few Christmas cards left, and not many boxed ornaments. And they're putting out the spring decorations!

I don't want Christmas to be over!
    I hadn't been in the Christmas Trim departments in a couple of weeks. Had look last week ... it was like a stampede had been through. Hardly anything left .... so much for the post Christmas sales as everything has been well and truly picked over already

There is that, and the fact that retailers are ruthless in maximising selling opportunites for the next event. A contact of mine who works in Tesco tells me that they will have people working in-store on christmas day taking down all of the christmas merchadising. By the time Boxing Day dawns and the superstores open it'll be all Valentine's Day and Easter. It's not unique to Tesco, as soon as the frantic hordes have stripped the sales clean like ravenous locusts, the shops will be selling flip-flops and summer wear while there is snow on the ground...

Mad, innit?
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    There is that, and the fact that retailers are ruthless in maximising selling opportunites for the next event. A contact of mine who works in Tesco tells me that they will have people working in-store on christmas day taking down all of the christmas merchadising. By the time Boxing Day dawns and the superstores open it'll be all Valentine's Day and Easter. It's not unique to Tesco, as soon as the frantic hordes have stripped the sales clean like ravenous locusts, the shops will be selling flip-flops and summer wear while there is snow on the ground...

Mad, innit?
    Hahaha, it's funny that we all have this opinion - that Christmas is over too quick, the stores move on to the next holiday ASAP! But then I remember this is the exact same opinion others have at Halloween or Thanksgiving ... they complain about Christmas taking over November the same way we complain about Valentines Day taking over January.
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    Hahaha, it's funny that we all have this opinion - that Christmas is over too quick, the stores move on to the next holiday ASAP! But then I remember this is the exact same opinion others have at Halloween or Thanksgiving ... they complain about Christmas taking over November the same way we complain about Valentines Day taking over January.
    I was at the grocery store today and they already had the Valentine candy out. I fail to see the logic in this. Does anybody really think they are going to sell even 1 box of Valentine candy before Christmas???