Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Christmas Story Discussion

Hybrid View

:light: A Christmas Story Discussion

I have never seen the movie "Elf"

I know, I know... but, it's just never caught my attention.

Also, I don't particularly like "A Christmas Story".
    http://www.allthingschristmas.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19786&dateline=132203  4169

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Christmas View Post
    I have never seen the movie "Elf"

I know, I know... but, it's just never caught my attention.

Also, I don't particularly like "A Christmas Story".
    Don't like the movie Elf...and don't care for "A Christmas Story" either!

Phew...I'm not alone

A few years ago the school I work at put on a play based on "A Christmas Story". When I told colleagues I didn't know the storyline they looked at me as if I had just crawled out from under a rock.

Well, I ended up watching it, and was totally lost as to why so many people claimed it was their favorite story of the season. What was I missing??

Oh well. I gave up trying to get myself to like it.

To each his own.
    http://www.allthingschristmas.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19786&dateline=132203  4169

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Even crappy Christmas movies are still okay to watch...after all, they're CHRISTMAS movies! HA!!!

Side note: A Christmas Story is a tale of a child's obsession with a specific toy he wants for Christmas, and it's set as a narrative taking place in America's heartland back in the 1940's. Yeah...no idea why anyone would enjoy a nostalgic film like THAT!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    Even crappy Christmas movies are still okay to watch...after all, they're CHRISTMAS movies! HA!!!

Side note: A Christmas Story is a tale of a child's obsession with a specific toy he wants for Christmas, and it's set as a narrative taking place in America's heartland back in the 1940's. Yeah...no idea why anyone would enjoy a nostalgic film like THAT!
    I didn't say I didn't understand why some people liked it, only that I couldn't get into it, and didn't see in it what others obviously do. Notice I said, "What was I missing??"

No need to take it personally.

I didn't say I didn't understand why some people liked it, only that I couldn't get into it, and didn't see in it what others obviously do.

No need to take it personally.
    Fair enough. Maybe you're a lot younger than me. Personally, I can't get into Christmas with the Kranks. In fact, I don't much care for Tim Allen at all. There are a lot of folks around here who think I'M crazy for that!

Now I just think you're weird! You're 3 years OLDER than me!! How can you not vibe on the nostalgia of A Christmas Story?? Oh well...different strokes....

I'm just a huge history buff, and I've always been drawn to post-war Americana.
    Well, as far as history goes, I teach U.S. history at a local high school

Different strokes, indeed

Well, as far as history goes, I teach U.S. history at a local high school

Different strokes, indeed
    Just admit it...you had your own "Scut Farkas" to deal with as a kid, didn't you.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Now I just think you're weird! You're 3 years OLDER than me!! How can you not vibe on the nostalgia of A Christmas Story?? Oh well...different strokes....

I'm just a huge history buff, and I've always been drawn to post-war Americana.
    Not to nit pick, but I'm pretty sure A Christmas Story is supposed to take place in the late 1930's.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    Not to nit pick, but I'm pretty sure A Christmas Story is supposed to take place in the late 1930's.
    I pulled this off IMDB:

When and where does the story take place?

The story takes place in 1939 or 1940 in the fictional northern Indiana town of Hohman (based on real-life Hammond, Indiana, where writer Jean Shepherd grew up).

There is also a mention of the soldiers standing outside Higbee's Store in the opening scene. That suggested a post-war setting, however there are many components of the movie that would make it most likely to be December 1940.

So I guess I was off by a handful of years. Same general era though.