Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Christmas Story Discussion

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Christmas View Post
    Well, as far as history goes, I teach U.S. history at a local high school

Different strokes, indeed
    Just admit it...you had your own "Scut Farkas" to deal with as a kid, didn't you.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    Now I just think you're weird! You're 3 years OLDER than me!! How can you not vibe on the nostalgia of A Christmas Story?? Oh well...different strokes....

I'm just a huge history buff, and I've always been drawn to post-war Americana.
    Not to nit pick, but I'm pretty sure A Christmas Story is supposed to take place in the late 1930's.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    Not to nit pick, but I'm pretty sure A Christmas Story is supposed to take place in the late 1930's.
    I pulled this off IMDB:

When and where does the story take place?

The story takes place in 1939 or 1940 in the fictional northern Indiana town of Hohman (based on real-life Hammond, Indiana, where writer Jean Shepherd grew up).

There is also a mention of the soldiers standing outside Higbee's Store in the opening scene. That suggested a post-war setting, however there are many components of the movie that would make it most likely to be December 1940.

So I guess I was off by a handful of years. Same general era though.

Hey all - I just pulled the parts of this discussion out of the ELF thread so we can keep talking about it over here..

Y'know I never really liked A Christmas Story until I was in my late-20s. And also clearly I'm no history buff (and much younger than most people who LOOOOVE this movie) because I always thought it took place in the Mid-50's Hahaha.... For a kid in the 80's the difference between 1939 and 1955 is negligible.
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra....Ra Ra Ra Ra
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Christmas View Post
    Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra....Ra Ra Ra Ra
    Love that scene!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    Hey all - I just pulled the parts of this discussion out of the ELF thread so we can keep talking about it over here..

Y'know I never really liked A Christmas Story until I was in my late-20s. And also clearly I'm no history buff (and much younger than most people who LOOOOVE this movie) because I always thought it took place in the Mid-50's Hahaha.... For a kid in the 80's the difference between 1939 and 1955 is negligible.
    HAHA!!...yeah, nothing much happened between '39 & '55! I'm a typical guy, because I always knew it was earlier because of the cars in the movie!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Love that scene!
    The duck looks like it's smiling.

This is my husband's favorite christmas movie. We both were elementary school age in the early 50's and the clothes and the neighborhood in the movies could have been ours. We both really identify with the kids in the movie. I still remember my hideous snowsuit and trying to stay upright in it while walking to school! The spectacled little boy my husband was seemed to always want some gift his mother thought was dangerous. It takes us back to the magic and sometimes hysterically funny Christmases of our childhoods.

A Christmas Story is awesome! I guess I did grow up watching it though.