Thread: It's beginning to look a lot like christmas in my road...

It's beginning to look a lot like christmas in my road...

Next door has started putting up his christmas house lights. So far he's put up sets of mini lit-up christmas trees on each side of his path, a family of nodding illuminated reideer and a father christmas sliding down a roof light effect on his front lawn, some net lights over his front shrubbery, and tonight he'll cast net lights like electric snow over his back garden. He does it to celebrate another year of survival from stomach and throat cancer. And though everyone in the road usually has some sort of external lighting (mine being some battery operated strings wrapped around a telephone pole next to my lawn) this year there seems to be a freindly rivalry developing between George The Lights Man and John of number 15 who has outlined his house with LED rope lights...

Now I'm wondering if there will be enough electricity left to cook the christmas dinner...
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

You should try and get pictures - I'm interested in seeing this 'Rivalry'
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

I don't have the facilites to post pictures, I'll just have to be as descriptive as possible. I'll keep you up to date if anything else is lit up.

Here is a link to the battery-operated lights that I used on the telephone pole http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-r...d-star-lights/ I didn't want to use a cable to the house mains for fear that people may trip over it or there may be a short-circuit so a few strings of these, using rechargable batteries with the battery boxes wrapped in plastic bags to keep the weather out is working well so far...

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    I don't have the facilites to post pictures, I'll just have to be as descriptive as possible. I'll keep you up to date if anything else is lit up.

Here is a link to the battery-operated lights that I used on the telephone pole http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-r...d-star-lights/ I didn't want to use a cable to the house mains for fear that people may trip over it or there may be a short-circuit so a few strings of these, using rechargable batteries with the battery boxes wrapped in plastic bags to keep the weather out is working well so far...
    WOW I wish they sold LED lights at my local Dollar store (in Canada it's called Dollarama), but they only have 25-string regular type ones.

I'm glad you're careful with the plastic wrapping, I'd be too afraid of the weather to use battery-operated lights outside!
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

We put our lights up the day after Thanksiving as did our next door neighbors. There are 20 houses on my block (it's a dead-end street), two of which are empty. So far 9 houses are decorated. The man across the street always put his lights up about 5 days before Christmas and those at the end of the street sometimes don't decorate as no one really drives by their homes! It is festive looking!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I doubt if you'd get much of a shock from two 1.5 volt AA batteries!

I went for a nightime walk around the village. The community chrismas tree is now up and lit at The Meadow, and there are more lit houses and bushes to be seen.