Thread: Classic Hymns of Christmas

Post Classic Hymns of Christmas

Angels We Have Heard on High

Hymn Story:
    The French carol "Les anges dans nos campagnes," now known as "Angels We Have Heard on High," is completely anonymous. It has always been printed with no known lyricist or composer. The beautiful carol tells the story of Christ's birth, when the angel choir told the good news to nearby shepherds. The chorus, "Gloria in Excelsis Deo," reflects the chorus of the angel choir that long-ago Christmas night.
    Many years ago shepherds in the hills of southern France had a Christmas Eve custom of calling to one another, singing "Gloria in Excelsis Deo," each from his own hillside. The traditional tune that the shepherds used may have been from a late Medieval Latin chorale. It became the magnificent chorus of "Angels We Have Heard on High."
    The carol seems to be of eighteenth-century origin, since it was known in England by 1816. At that time James Montgomery wrote his carol "Angels From the Realms of Glory", originally basing it on the tune of "Les anges dans nos campagnes." "Angels From the Realms of Glory" was sung to the French tune until Henry Tomas Smart wrote a new tune for it in 1967.
    "Angels We Have Heard on High" was first published in France in 1855. The English translation came seven years later, in Henri Frederick's Crown of Jesus Music. This 1862 translation differed from the form we use now. The version we use today was first printed in a 1916 American carol collection entitled Carols Old and Carols New.
    Devotional:
    Sheep scattered around, the shepherds settled in for another quiet night, probably swapping stories as they watched the flocks. Then, in a divine moment, God burst into the night. Angels appeared, singing songs and speaking of the Savior's birth. And suddenly, the shepherds' ordinary lives were transformed-becoming part of a story that's lived for thousands of years.
    Angels We Have Heard on High" reminds us of this amazing night. In the beautiful strains of its chorus, this carol helps us experience a taste of what that angel chorus might have sounded like as it proclaimed the "good news."
    Christ's birth certainly was good news to those simple shepherds. The Savior changed their lives forever. And God still loves to speak to ordinary people and transform their lives into something extraordinary through his grace.
    As we sing of the angels' great announcement, let's remember that God still wants to announce the "good news" today, using people like you and me. Helping a family in need, sharing the gospel story with a prisoner, encouraging a friend who's going through tough times-in these and countless other ways we can announce Jesus' birth to the "shepherds" of our day.
    Through our words and actions, we can show that Jesus still lives in the hearts of man. So in this Christmas season, and all through the coming year, let's continue the angel song. Let's tell the world all about Jesus, and how he's changed our lives forever.
    Facts:
    Lyrics: Traditional French Carol
    Lyrics Date: 18th Century
    Translator: James Chadwick, Crown of Jesus Music
    Translation Date: 1862
    Theme: Christmas Music: Traditional French Melody
    Music Date: 18th Century
    Tune Name: GLORIA
    Arranger: Edward S. Barnes
    Arranged Date: 1937
    Key: F
    Meter: 7.7.7.7.REF.
    Scripture:
    Luke 2:14

And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Angels We Have Heard On High
    (Full Studio Version) -
    David Archuleta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb0Jg...endscreen&NR=1
    - St. Luke ii.

interesting history, mina, I have often wondered why people sometimes sing the words of "Angels from the Realms of Glory" to the tune of "Angels We Have Heard on High." I thought maybe they just didn't know the right tune. (another case of when I think others are being ignorant, it is I who is being ignorant) And you give a good reminder of what Christmas is all about. thanks

thank you stephenie that means a lot coming from you for a while there i felt quite rejected .
    i get these in in box every day it helps remind me too about the true meaning of Christmas .
    - St. Luke ii.

:gingerbread:

Christmas Joy: "Angel"

Having trouble seeing this email? View it online.
    Bible Gateway | The Brook Network | Mel Lawrenz

Angel

An angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said: "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." - Matthew 1:20-21
    Angel: 1). A spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God (Oxford English Dictionary).
    What did Mary see when the angel Gabriel appeared to her? What kind of being came with foreknowledge of a supernatural conception and with words that would change her identity forever? "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you" (Lk. 1:28). How would the shepherds have described the angel with the glory of the Lord shining about? How could they encapsulate "a great company of the heavenly host," whose voices poured out a sudden tidal wave of sound, a booming chorus?: "Glory to God in the highest!" (Lk. 2:14 ). How would Joseph his own encounter with the angel? Or what would Zechariah, John the Baptist's father, say about their messengers? In the days leading up to the birth of Jesus, supernatural appearances and utterances were occurring like they never had before-an electric buzz of Heaven's voices among us.
    The real meaning of "angel" is simply, "messenger." This reminds us that Christmas is about a message. It is a gospel, good news. The best news. And paving the way were powerful spiritual messengers whose very presence struck fear and awe in people (no pudgy, winged cherubs here). Their mission and their message transformed humankind-and we have never been the same.
    This year, any one of us can probably think of a dozen cases in which we would like to hear a personal message from God. We have that message. It is a message individually suited to each of us, because it was sent to all of us. As the angel said to Joseph: "[Jesus] will save people from their sins." The angels' message from that cold night continues to ring through the atmosphere-centuries later, and it is as true as in its first utterance. In this mortal world that is at once be full of wonders, yet seized by sin and darkness: We have been saved.
    Prayer for today: Lord, thank you for your message of hope and renewal, for your son. Let my heart receive this message new every day, and may my eyes be opened to your continued presence in this world.
    Acquire the complete "Christmas Joy" devotional as a Kindle eBook (readable on your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, or Kindle).

- St. Luke ii.

- St. Luke ii.

Quote Originally Posted by mina553 View Post
    thank you stephenie that means a lot coming from you for a while there i felt quite rejected .
    i get these in in box every day it helps remind me too about the true meaning of Christmas .
    I'm so sorry, mina, if I made you feel that way. I didn't mean to at all. sometimes I just get petty. the problem when I get that way is mine, not yours or anyone else's.

its ok/
    this makes up for it.
    iam sorry too.
    i can be quite exciteable when iam ready & over bearing too .
    THX
    - St. Luke ii.