Thread: Autism Awareness

Autism Awareness

Just to let you know that I have two grandchildren who are autistic, so if you want to talk you can post here or PM me.

my two youngest (who live with me) have Asberger's. They are 19 (girl) and 15 (boy.) My oldest grandson has autism and he will be 10 yrs old on Christmas Eve. My grandson lives in a state far away, so I rarely see him but he and his mom have been visiting with us since sometime in October, so I have had lots of time with him. He is such a sweetheart and can also be quite difficult. I've been learning what works best with him from watching my daughter interact with him.

That's incredibly interesting, Steph. Our oldest grandchild/grandson was born with congential glaucoma and is legally blind. He graduated from high school this year. His mother teaches special needs children at a public elementary school. We have an eleven-year-old granddaughter who has Asperger's who lives nearby and a three-year-old grandson with autism who lives a few states away.

Our eleven-year-old granddaughter decorated our main tree this year.

Our pastor, coincidentally, has a grandson who is autistic.

Before we had grandchildren, and before we attended this church, I provided childcare for an autistic toddler.

Have you seen the movie about Temple Grandin?

no, I haven't seen it, but I have wanted to. I have read about her, been to her website, and listened online to a radio interview she did for public radio some years back. My two youngest weren't diagnosed until they were fairly old as children. I had had three children before them from my first marriage and I could tell there was something not quite right about my last two, when they were infants, for lack of a better way to put it. So, did your 11 year old granddaughter do a pretty good job decorating your main tree? I am OCD when it comes to that. I wish I could just say, ok kids, go ahead and decorate the tree, and be happy with that, but no, things have to be a certain way. no ornament is to be leaning on a branch. they all must be hanging freely, straight down, ornaments that are the same or similar cannot be near each other, etc.. etc... Even on Christmas Day, I will notice a branch that could be moved this way or that to look better, or an ornament that would look better on 'this' or 'that' branch and I cannot leave it alone. I have to get up and tend to it.
    Last edited by steph535; 11-22-2011 at 01:53 PM.

I thought I was OCD. But I helped my granddaughter last year. This year I fastened the pinecones and put the gold ribbon on before she came. Then I just gave her verbal instructions and I think she did a perfect job:

I just suggested spacing each color rather evenly (even though I didn't really do that with the pinecones).

After she left, I put boxes under the tree.

BTW, I have to straighten the star on top of the tree; my fault, not hers.

yep, your granddaughter sure did a great job on your tree, MW.

I have to admit that the ornaments that don't hang straight down do bug me, but the tree is new and incredibly full. I don't know what to do unless we switch to all miniature ornaments. At my age, however, I treasure the memories I'm making more than the perfection I used to expect. Seriously, I always had a complex about what other people would think...now it's about what my grandchildren think.

in fact,your grandchildren are very great,i think they will be outgoing to make friends with others