Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED lights?

LED lights?

ok so my husband and i are not sure what to do so thought id bring this up here and see what you guys think. so we have a new green tree this year (we've had a white tree for 5 years before this) and we need new green wire lights.. we love the way LED lights look but they sell them in such small boxes or portions not sure how to word that lol anyways my question is do the LED lights really make a difference when it comes to saving energy type of stuff?? i mean if it does then its a good buy if it really doesnt make a difference id rather get the cheaper ones main reason being we small children and 2 cats that never leave the tree alone so if i have to replace something which i know i will id rather do the cheaper...

I've done my own research on LED lights and really think they are worth the couple extra bucks you end up spending. I have found, both in experience and places like Consumer Reports, that the LEDs last twice (or more) as long as Traditional incandescent tree lights.

LEDs to me, appear brighter with a look that is more crisp.

A little paragraph I've found on on the power usage

"In December 2007, Consumer Report tests showed it cost $1.30 to operate conventional mini lights for 300 hours compared to 30 cents for LEDs. The cost for 50-foot strings of C7 incandescent lights was $8, while LEDs cost 14 cents. Regular C9 holiday lights cost $11 to operate; LEDs cost 14 cents."
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I use both. One thing of note is that incandescent bulbs tend to have a "warmer glow" than LEDs, which are a bit harsher in color and brightness. If you are comparing from an economical standpoint, then it is a no-brainer. LEDs are absolutely the way to go. For me, I got a really good deal on a bunch of incandescent bulbs after Christmas last year. Plus, I tend to prefer the "classic" color effects they provide. LEDs can appear more sterile and less "Christmassy" in my opinion. However, as I said, I use both kinds in my tree and in my outdoor display. In the end, it really depends on the look you prefer.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

thank you for responding! we were looking yesterday at some of the LED lights we like them but i think im going to end up using regular lights for now because we dont need a whole lot of new lights and then after christmas this year pick up some LED ones for next year

Quote Originally Posted by purpleskies View Post
    thank you for responding! we were looking yesterday at some of the LED lights we like them but i think im going to end up using regular lights for now because we dont need a whole lot of new lights and then after christmas this year pick up some LED ones for next year
    Good idea to catch the after Christmas sales!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I don't like the 'cool white' LED's which have a harsh blue-ish tinge. However the 'warm white' LED's (depending on the brand) can have the same warm glow of the old 'fairy lights' plus the advantages of being brighter, cool to the touch, energy saving etc.

I use both ........ as found some LED's with the same colour tone of my old fairy lights. Never looked at the multi-colour ones ....

Have to be careful with the colors of the led lights as they vary between manufacturers. Most stores have indoor displays so you can look at them lit up. Sometimes the reds can look orangy, whites sorta blue, etc. Guess it's all a personal taste but I like traditional colors

Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Erv View Post
    Have to be careful with the colors of the led lights as they vary between manufacturers. Most stores have indoor displays so you can look at them lit up. Sometimes the reds can look orangy, whites sorta blue, etc. Guess it's all a personal taste but I like traditional colors
    I'm with you, Erv.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Just remember that if you want to get LEDs at the after-Christmas clearance sales, you should go the day after Christmas! LEDs are still expensive enough that many people (like myself) who do bigger outdoor displays tend to buy them up quickly when they get discounted in price. In other words, the LEDs are the first things to sell out!!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Erv View Post
    Have to be careful with the colors of the led lights as they vary between manufacturers. Most stores have indoor displays so you can look at them lit up.....
    You're absolutely correct ... that's what I meant when I mentioned above about the 'different brands'