Thread: Hope you all are OK

Hope you all are OK

I hope that those of you who were affected by the winter storms in the NE USA have come through OK and have your power and internet connection back.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    I hope that those of you who were affected by the winter storms in the NE USA have come through OK and have your power and internet connection back.
    Thanks Mole! We are fine. Power came back on late last night so we now have heat, light, internet, tv, phone, etc. Funny thing is, our local cell tower was damaged, ao we had no cell service for Saturday and Sunday either. The cells started working again on Monday, but by then the phones were dead! We had to find a place to recharge them! It was as if we were cut off from the rest of the world!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

You can get wind-up (hand-crank) emergency mobile phone rechargers.

An example...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/windup-charger-p157990

It should provide enough power for short "Don't wory, I'm OK" calls or texts. A useful point to note that a text can often get through when it isn't possible for a call to be made.
    Last edited by Moley; 11-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.

I'll have to check into this emergency phone charger. Texting did work for about an hour then that went out as well!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    Thanks for thinking of us. It was really quite something. A week doesn't sound like too long a time, but it felt like forever. Thank God it didn't happen in February- we were freezing! And like ornamentmaven said- we felt so isolated with no phones. I usually feel nostalgic about the good old days when everything was lit by candlelight and fires in the hearth. It's not so great without heat. lol The best thing about it was that everyone made the best of it. It was kind of like camping. The whole neighborhood/town came together. People you don't normally talk to were checking up on each other and offering any help they could give. Everyone was outside during the day (outside was warmer than inside) because there was no tv, no computers, no lights. I'm glad I experienced it.

Right after it, we started stocking up on emergency supplies. I don't think it's that far fetched to think it might happen again this winter.

I was thinking of you, ornamentmaven, and was wondering if you were going through it, too. I was on here when the power first went out. Glad everything turned out ok for you!
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    Thanks for thinking of us. It was really quite something. A week doesn't sound like too long a time, but it felt like forever. Thank God it didn't happen in February- we were freezing! And like ornamentmaven said- we felt so isolated with no phones. I usually feel nostalgic about the good old days when everything was lit by candlelight and fires in the hearth. It's not so great without heat. lol The best thing about it was that everyone made the best of it. It was kind of like camping. The whole neighborhood/town came together. People you don't normally talk to were checking up on each other and offering any help they could give. Everyone was outside during the day (outside was warmer than inside) because there was no tv, no computers, no lights. I'm glad I experienced it.

Right after it, we started stocking up on emergency supplies. I don't think it's that far fetched to think it might happen again this winter.

I was thinking of you, ornamentmaven, and was wondering if you were going through it, too. I was on here when the power first went out. Glad everything turned out ok for you!
    Glad everything worked out for you too Mistletoe! It was quite an experience! We are still dealing with broken tree branches- my husband is cutting everything up for firewood. We have a fireplace and go camping in the summer!

There is more winter preparedness discussion here...

http://www.allthingschristmas.com/fo...ead.php?t=2563