Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many Lights?

Quote Originally Posted by HollyJolly View Post
    I am definitely on the mindset that the more lights the better. I like to use clear lights and one other color...for example my Santa tree is clear and red, and my snowman tree is clear and blue...it gives the brightness and glow of the clear, but the fun and added punch of color.
    Well I do agree that more is definitely better than too few

I bought a string of LED's to wrap around the pole of the tree to add more depth and dimension ... lighting from the 'inside'.

That brings the total to about 1500 .. which makes it 200 lights per foot of tree

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I just read yesterday in a Christmas magazine that the desired light count for a 7" tree is 50 to 75 per foot and the ornament count should be about 200. I guess they wouldn't appreciate my tree with close to 1000 ornaments and many lights!
    The link I provided suggested 100 per foot.

http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/decoratingtips.php

I'm thinking of having a total of 300 on my table top tree. But maybe I won't need that many.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    The link I provided suggested 100 per foot.

http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/decoratingtips.php

I'm thinking of having a total of 300 on my table top tree. But maybe I won't need that many.
    I agree with you! My figures came from the 2011 Holiday magazine (by Good Housekeeping/Redbook) - page 11. They recommend 350-550 lights for a seven foot tree and 150-200 ornaments! Ridiculously low numbers by anyone's standards!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

we are having trouble with how many lights we should use. i want to use clear lights as well as multi colored lights because i feel like with no clear lights the tree seems kinda dull... we have a new tree this year that is not prelit so im trying to figure out how much to use! we have a 6.5ft tree (a little smaller then i like but i have young children still) so what would you guys recommend?

I would want at least 600 lights unless you are buying LED lights; with LED lights, I'd use less because they're brighter.

Hopefully, you'll get answers from more experienced members. I downsized to tabletop trees last year.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

The length of the needles has a lot to do with how many lights it will take to achieve the desired affect. The lights are more visible on short needled trees than on medium or long needled varieties.
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I never "plan" my tree. I put it up and just start stringing lights until I decide I'm done.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I agree with you! My figures came from the 2011 Holiday magazine (by Good Housekeeping/Redbook) - page 11. They recommend 350-550 lights for a seven foot tree and 150-200 ornaments! Ridiculously low numbers by anyone's standards!
    that's absolutely nuts. I wonder if they even tested this out or got any other opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    I never "plan" my tree. I put it up and just start stringing lights until I decide I'm done.
    the same
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    Have to agree with Mike, don't plan just do it and think yep, that's enough..
    Merry Christmas to all...