Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: How Many Lights?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Back home again in Indiana
    Posts
    3,930

    :light: How Many Lights?

    How Many Lights Do I Need?
    Typically, count on 100 lights per vertical foot of tree. For example: for a 7 foot tree, you will need at least of 700 lights. I prefer 150 per foot (or 1050 lights for a 7 foot tree) for a more "twinkly" look.

    Of course, if your tree is fuller than average you will also need more lights than on a slender tree.
    http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/decoratingtips.php




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Back home again in Indiana
    Posts
    3,930
    Oops! I forgot to tell you that our prelit tabletop tree came on Monday(yesterday) and I thought there were too few lights. So I'm going to double the amount of clear lights.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    473
    For me 150-200 lights per foot of tree is just about right .....so for a 7 1/2 foot tree ... between 1050 to 1500 is just perfect..... and I luv clear twinkling lights

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sloatsburg, NY, USA
    Posts
    16,359
    I just read yesterday in a Christmas magazine that the desired light count for a 7" tree is 50 to 75 per foot and the ornament count should be about 200. I guess they wouldn't appreciate my tree with close to 1000 ornaments and many lights!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    272
    I am definitely on the mindset that the more lights the better. I like to use clear lights and one other color...for example my Santa tree is clear and red, and my snowman tree is clear and blue...it gives the brightness and glow of the clear, but the fun and added punch of color.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    509
    I agree when it comes to lights the more the merrier

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJolly View Post
    I am definitely on the mindset that the more lights the better. I like to use clear lights and one other color...for example my Santa tree is clear and red, and my snowman tree is clear and blue...it gives the brightness and glow of the clear, but the fun and added punch of color.
    Well I do agree that more is definitely better than too few

    I bought a string of LED's to wrap around the pole of the tree to add more depth and dimension ... lighting from the 'inside'.

    That brings the total to about 1500 .. which makes it 200 lights per foot of tree

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Back home again in Indiana
    Posts
    3,930
    Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I just read yesterday in a Christmas magazine that the desired light count for a 7" tree is 50 to 75 per foot and the ornament count should be about 200. I guess they wouldn't appreciate my tree with close to 1000 ornaments and many lights!
    The link I provided suggested 100 per foot.

    http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/decoratingtips.php

    I'm thinking of having a total of 300 on my table top tree. But maybe I won't need that many.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sloatsburg, NY, USA
    Posts
    16,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    The link I provided suggested 100 per foot.

    http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/decoratingtips.php

    I'm thinking of having a total of 300 on my table top tree. But maybe I won't need that many.
    I agree with you! My figures came from the 2011 Holiday magazine (by Good Housekeeping/Redbook) - page 11. They recommend 350-550 lights for a seven foot tree and 150-200 ornaments! Ridiculously low numbers by anyone's standards!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Similar Threads

  1. Help with Lights!
    By SammieDsMom in forum Christmas Decorations
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 04:13 AM
  2. Problems with lights???
    By shadow in forum Christmas Decorations
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 07:13 PM
  3. Regular Lights vs LED Lights...
    By lottibecks in forum Christmas TV & Movies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 02:09 AM
  4. Easter Lights!
    By Merry Christmas Darling in forum Other: Easter
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-18-2009, 06:36 PM
  5. Red lights
    By Theresa Cunningham in forum Christmas Decorations
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About ATC

    ATC "AllThingsChristmas" is a Forum Devoted to everything about Christmas, please enjoy our Forum & feel free to chat about the greatest day of the year.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Flickr