Thread: A point to ponder "It's only one day!"

A point to ponder "It's only one day!"

That is my father's attitude to christmas, and I have to admit, he does have a point in regard to people being artificially pleasant to others for the season, it's a far harder thing to do to make christmas last "The whole year" or "every day".

And on the subject of my father, what can you buy a 76 year old, pleasantly grouchy man who doesn't need or want many of the things that are often given as gifts? I try to buy him something practical, last year it was a basic mobile phone to replace his ancient and close to scrap 12 year old model, and I spent Boxing Day teaching him how to use it! He's not stupid or senile, just born into a different world to us, and despite having been an Explosive Ordinance Disposal officer during his time in the army, now he has trouble graping the technicalities of the modern world. And the many experiences he had during his army career would put any of the 'Experience Day' gifts to shame!

Parents! Though they can be an utter pain to buy gifts for, celebrate the fact that they are there at christmas for you never know if this year will be the last... Make the most of every moment that you have with them.
    Last edited by Moley; 10-14-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

If you have the money, get him an iPad. Those tablets are accessible, entertaining, and really time-consuming. Your father seems like a great guy!

Snowman is offline Naughty & Nice List Keeper
    I guess I got lucky with my father,he was a very practical sort of fella,who was always happy to have pants and socks,a new body warmer to wear in the garden and a nice bottle of whiskey,which he would take a nip of every now and then[I'm sure he still had some left from one Christmas to the next]! As for now my father in law is just a bit younger than your dad,but he's a bit of a wine buff,so we always get him six bottles of good red wine.

He wouldn't know what to do with a Ipad! Electronic things are not his style...
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

you can maybe make something and give it to him like framed family portrait or box for litlle things like letters.He will appreciate it more then something you bought in a store.
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    He wouldn't know what to do with a Ipad! Electronic things are not his style...
    I thought the same thing, too, but, having seen old people who apparently detest electronic things, the iPad does wonders.

Just a suggestion.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Obviously none of you are fathers. Believe me when I say that it doesn't matter WHAT my children give me. If it comes from my kids, I absolutely adore it!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!