Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Traditional Tree

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    The love of Christmas is such a personal thing. You never know how the grandkids will feel when they are adults. When it comes to Christmas - my sisters have always called me "The Boss of Christmas". My family loves the way I transform the house at Christmas time - but no one ever wants to help!. The funny thing is, my 2 daughters always argue over who will inherit what. They both want the Christmas village! I say - if you want it then you better learn how to set it up as it is a MAJOR undertaking! Thay promise to, but...
    yes, my family always loved how I decorated and made things so Christmassy but nobody loved it the way I did and nobody wanted to help. of course, some of that was due to the fact that, even though I love Christmas and the decorations, music, and all, actually doing the work is a love/hate thing with me and every year I would be throwing temper tantrums, getting enraged and swearing at the lights, etc.., taking the lights off and redoing them once or twice, yelling because everything wasn't absolutely perfect, and in general just making things miserable. so, they learned to just back off and get out of my way. I really wanted and needed their help, but they didn't care if there were too many blue ornaments together, or if there was a cluster of green lights together, or if one of the branch tips needed to be tilted a little to the left, etc.... and I would try try try to overlook those things but they would eat away at me.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by acabib42 View Post
    With just dh and myself by ourselves at Christmas, I quit decorations..... This year I am thinking about starting up again because I miss it so much.
    hello, acabib42 and welcome to the forums! we're so glad to have you here! for the first time, it's just my son and I (he will be 18 on Christmas Day) so I am not sure if I will put anything up, both because it's just us two, and also because we will probably be going up north to spend Christmas with my sister and her family. I'm torn because I don't know that I want to go to the bother but at the same time, I cannot image not putting up a tree, decorating the top of the entertainment center, etc...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Back home again in Indiana
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by acabib42 View Post
    With just dh and myself by ourselves at Christmas, I quit decorations..... This year I am thinking about starting up again because I miss it so much.
    I would definitely do it! There are some things that should be enjoyed. My late husband came home one night in the seventies and said, "This place looks like a fairyland." I was so happy. I wish I had all the same décor today.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Back home again in Indiana
    Posts
    4,056
    steph, I regret the lack of decorating I did one year when we went away, and I still cherish photos of our decorations that I put up another time that we went to visit relatives at Christmas.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4,814
    I imagine traditional tree....hmmm. It has to be big, huge Unfortunately in the first house we lived we didn't have space for huge tree but I was happy with the one we had. I tried to make it look nice. Then when we move to another house and with time we bought (actually last year) new tree. litlle bit bigger and it looks the way I picture ideal tree. I love all kinds of ornaments speciallly in red or golden but I also like wooden ornaments or crystal.Over the years I started to put real pinecones which make my tree looks much natural
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day
    .


    *Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sloatsburg, NY, USA
    Posts
    16,560
    Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    yes, my family always loved how I decorated and made things so Christmassy but nobody loved it the way I did and nobody wanted to help. of course, some of that was due to the fact that, even though I love Christmas and the decorations, music, and all, actually doing the work is a love/hate thing with me and every year I would be throwing temper tantrums, getting enraged and swearing at the lights, etc.., taking the lights off and redoing them once or twice, yelling because everything wasn't absolutely perfect, and in general just making things miserable. so, they learned to just back off and get out of my way. I really wanted and needed their help, but they didn't care if there were too many blue ornaments together, or if there was a cluster of green lights together, or if one of the branch tips needed to be tilted a little to the left, etc.... and I would try try try to overlook those things but they would eat away at me.
    I know - I am a perfectionist as well. But my husband would never help. He would set up the real tree and then leave - even when we were first married and I wasn't such a perfectionist. My older daughter is very laid back about EVERYTHING - so she expends as little energy as possible. My younger daughter is full of energy and will help with boxes and moving things around - but she is very impatient and likes things to move FAST. Decorating is a little too slow for her.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by *Snowflake* View Post
    I imagine traditional tree....hmmm. It has to be big, huge Unfortunately in the first house we lived we didn't have space for huge tree but I was happy with the one we had. I tried to make it look nice. Then when we move to another house and with time we bought (actually last year) new tree. litlle bit bigger and it looks the way I picture ideal tree. I love all kinds of ornaments speciallly in red or golden but I also like wooden ornaments or crystal.Over the years I started to put real pinecones which make my tree looks much natural
    that sounds beautiful, *snowflake* and I love the idea of the real pinecones

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    steph, I regret the lack of decorating I did one year when we went away, and I still cherish photos of our decorations that I put up another time that we went to visit relatives at Christmas.
    thanks, Merry. I really appreciate your input

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sloatsburg, NY, USA
    Posts
    16,560
    When I was first married, we would spend time with our families at Christmas - neither lived close enough for a day trip so we would always spend a few days around Christmas away from home. I would still decorate my house completely because to me Christmas is a season from late November to early January and I didn't want to miss out on that festive feeling!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    When I was first married, we would spend time with our families at Christmas - neither lived close enough for a day trip so we would always spend a few days around Christmas away from home. I would still decorate my house completely because to me Christmas is a season from late November to early January and I didn't want to miss out on that festive feeling!
    things have changed so many times over the years for our family; growing up, we stayed home (one set of grandparents would come for breakfast when I was very young, but not after they moved to colorado when I was 9, other set would pop in for maybe a couple hours) , mom did everything, after I got married, we Christmas was still at mom's. (no cousins or anything, just us) then, at least 20 years ago, after my oldest brother had bought a nice little home with about 8 acres in a small town further away, and later my mom moved in with him, we started going there for Christmas. it was not really far, but we would go there and stay for Christmas vacation (when the kids had school off) and my sister, my mom, and I would make the dinner. I remember my brother's favorite Christmas tree was a white pine, and one year he and my other brother found one very late one night, just lying on the edge of the road, like someone had cut it down and just left it there, so they brought home a fresh tree for free that year. (it was beautiful but so different from what I was used to, as my parents had always got balsams) anyway, after we moved to Florida, we started going to my best friend's (we have no family down here) but a couple times, it was just us three at home, and a few times of being able to go to my sister's in Ohio. My sister's seems to be the central location now because she has the most room, even though usually it is just her immediate family. (except now my mother lives with her)

    With Thanksgiving falling so late this year (November 28), are you going to wait til then or after to put up a tree?

Similar Threads

  1. Traditional British Christmas card posted from the UK
    By mother christmas in forum Christmas Market - buy, sell, trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
  2. Traditional vs On-line Shopping
    By Christmasplease in forum Everything else
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 01:14 AM
  3. some Eastern European traditional recipes:)
    By lialia in forum Christmas Crafts & Recipes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 11:17 PM
  4. Traditional Xmas
    By Xmasflora in forum Christmas Recollections & Traditions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About ATC

    ATC "AllThingsChristmas" is a Forum Devoted to everything about Christmas, please enjoy our Forum & feel free to chat about the greatest day of the year.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Flickr