Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you baked today?

My yummy sweet potato curry:

Don't judge my portion sizes I've always had big dinners lol It doesn't look pretty but it was very tasy!

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post

Don't judge my portion sizes I've always had big dinners lol It doesn't look pretty but it was very tasy!
    Looks very tasty CM...
    Merry Christmas to all...

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post

It looks delicious! Have you ever made sweet potato pie? Looks similar to a pumpkin pie (a little more yellowish in color). I've never tasted one. Very popular in the African-Anerican culture.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Yams and sweet potatoes are often used interchangeably - that is how similar in taste they are. I always call sweet potatoes - sweet potatoes and call yams -yams! I think most Americans call them by the proper name! I think that yams have become much more available than sweet potatoes so you hear about them more often.
    I didn't realise you actually had real yams in America! I did a little google after I posted asking and found this:

Candied yams aren’t really made with yams. In fact, all of our familiar American yam dishes are made with sweet potatoes. The darker orange, sweeter, moist varieties of sweet potato tend to be called yams in the U.S. while the more pale (white or yellow), firm & mealy, less-sweet ones are referred to as sweet potatoes. Most Americans have never even seen a true yam.

What’s a yam if not a type of sweet potato?

True yams come from Africa and go by the botanical name: Dioscorea. The name yam derives from the word nyami, also meaning to eat. Yams are starchy tubers; but only distant relatives of potatoes and unrelated to sweet potatoes—members of the morning glory family. The skin of a true yam is rough like bark, and can be poisonous if eaten raw.

So why do Americans call orange sweet potatoes yams?

In colonial Virgina (including North Carolina, the state that leads the US in sweet potato production), farmers took to calling the paler varieties of Ipomoea batatas sweet potatoes. African slaves in the colony used the word nyami to describe orange sweet potatoes, which bear some resemblance (but no relation) to true yams. Use of the abbreviated African word yam became widespread to differentiate sweet potatoes by color. The name yam has stuck for over 300 years, commonly used to describe the tastiest and most nutritious varieties of sweet potato to thrive on this continent.
    http://www.goodnessgreeness.com/news...ives_view=true

I found it quite interesting!

It looks delicious! Have you ever made sweet potato pie? Looks similar to a pumpkin pie (a little more yellowish in color). I've never tasted one. Very popular in the African-Anerican culture.
    Ohh that sounds interesting! No, I never have. I've only made fake-beef pies I'll definately consider making a sweet potato pie one day. Sounds yummy!

So - I guess there are two kinds of sweet potatoes and we differentiate them by color as yams or sweet ootatoes! I never knew that, just knew they were different! I guess we have the colonial slaves to blame for this!

So - I guess there are two kinds of sweet potatoes and we differentiate them by color as yams or sweet ootatoes! I never knew that, just knew they were different! I guess we have the colonial slaves to blame for this!
    And here's another interesting yam fact: Did you know that eating a lot of real yams (not sweet potatos) can cause hyperovulation in women? Which is why there are greater numbers of multiple pregnancies in countries where Yams are a large part of the diet, such as Africa

Today is....

Pork and Apple Sausage Dinners
    Pork and Leek Sausage Dinners
    Lasangne
    Bread rolls.

Today..

Meat feast Pizza's, mini ones
    Bread rolls
    Dutch Apple Cake

and daughter wants something called Bear Claw Cookies..

Oh Tink - I promise to get you that recipe later today!