Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you do, career-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWire View Post
    How is the business there? I know a few stevedore industries that have become victim to the loss of work.
    There are still a few going around here but they are dwindling fast.
    Merry Christmas to all...

I'm a stay at home mummy at the moment to my 3 year old and two near-two year olds. I also look after my hubby who is disabled but wouldn't call myself his carer. I aspire to be a midwife in future years. I had my children young so once they are a bit older, I still have the rest of my life to think about career

Also, I'd never heard of the word stevedore except for in Buffy The Vampire Slayer where Buffy says to Giles, "When I had psychic power I heard my mom think that you were like a stevedore..." I still had no clue what it was, though!
    Last edited by Christmas_mama; 10-11-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post
    Also, I'd never heard of the term stevedore except for in Buffy The Vampire Slayer where Buffy says to Giles, "When I had psychic power I heard my mom think that you were like a stevedore..." I still had no clue what it was, though!
    Someone who loads and unloads ships, a lot of hard graft and he was as fit as a fiddle
    very muscular... but things change and I still love him too bits.....

We married young so we could enjoy ourselves as we got a bit older but unfortunately
    his health took a turn, a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell2 View Post
    Someone who loads and unloads ships, a lot of hard graft and he was as fit as a fiddle
    very muscular... but things change and I still love him too bits.....

We married young so we could enjoy ourselves as we got a bit older but unfortunately
    his health took a turn, a few years back.
    Sorry to hear that

Sorry to hear that
    Awwww, thanks, but it's all good as my daughter always says...

We've got each other, 26 yrs married can't want anything more than that, well his health
    would be nice, but can't change that..

How's are you?

Awwww, thanks, but it's all good as my daughter always says...

We've got each other, 26 yrs married can't want anything more than that, well his health
    would be nice, but can't change that..

How's are you?
    Yes that's true. You still have each other

At the same time, while it's good to remember the positives and look on the bright side, you shouldn't feel like you have to play down your experiences or feelings if you know what I mean?

I'm good enough thank you. Just tired (as usual) and looking forward to bed in a few minutes

Yes that's true. You still have each other

At the same time, while it's good to remember the positives and look on the bright side, you shouldn't feel like you have to play down your experiences or feelings if you know what I mean?

I'm good enough thank you. Just tired (as usual) and looking forward to bed in a few minutes
    I know what you mean, and I don't that's just me....

I could do with some sleep been awake since 3.30am this morning.....

There are still a few going around here but they are dwindling fast.
    :( That's sad. The loss of industry... Happening more and more in Western societies.

I'm a stay at home mummy at the moment to my 3 year old and two near-two year olds. I also look after my hubby who is disabled but wouldn't call myself his carer. I aspire to be a midwife in future years. I had my children young so once they are a bit older, I still have the rest of my life to think about career
    Thought I'd add that my husband works in local government. He works all areas of public transport, but mainly in making public transport accessible, liasing between transport providers and transport users to make sure needs are met on both sides and he is in charge of the bus pass scheme here in the UK (free bus passes for disabled and older people).

People in the public sector are also facing massive cuts here in the UK.My husband has had his position confirmed for another year, but many people in his department have been asked to take voluntary redundancy and others have just been cut completely. It's scary stuff and always a worry that one day it might be his position that gets dropped.