I know some of you don't have Thanksgiving in your Country... and I know some of you think that Thanksgiving comes at the end of November... but as a Canadian, our Thanksgiving is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!

Although it would have been really nice to have a Holiday on/near my Birthday (Nov 23rd - same weekend as American Thanksgiving)... I think I'd prefer to have Thanksgiving Earlier.

Now.. most people *know* what American Thanksgiving is about Pilgrims and Natives and all that... but Canada didn't have it's Plymouth Rock...so why do we celebrate it too?

The First AMERICAN Thanksgiving

Our story is very similar to the United States' tale. A homecoming feast of a long journey coming to an end (British Explorer Martin Frobisher's attempts to find a Northwest Passage), and the thanksgiving and celebration of a successful Harvest - as the Native Peoples of Canada did for years before Europeans came along.

Canadian Thanksgiving was, at first, not celebrated annually, but rather as a celebration for very special occasions like the end of a war, or the end of a journey. To give thanks for safe travels and battles... or on April 5,1872 to celebrate the recovery of King Edward VII!

It wasn't until 1879 - sixteen years after Lincoln declared it a Holiday in America during the Civil War - and the USA started celebrating annually - that we finally started having our yearly celebration. BUT WAIT - it was celebrated in Early November - as our Northern Harvest does take place before the USA one.

So why, in 1957 did the Government change it to the 2nd Monday in October?
Well, after the 2nd world war we started celebrating Remembrance Day (known in America as Veterans Day) on November 11th, so to avoid having two holidays in the same fortnight (and since Remembrance Day is a fixed date, and Thanksgiving was arbitrary), they changed it!

So, now you know! That's the brief history of Canadian Thanksgiving!
And why in 17 Days I'll get to enjoy a GREAT Turkey Dinner, surrounded by Friends and Family, while the USA has to wait 62 days.