Thread: Canadian Thanksgiving (Oct 10th)

Canadian Thanksgiving (Oct 10th)

I know some of you don't have Thanksgiving in your Country... and I know some of you think that Thanksgiving comes at the end of November... but as a Canadian, our Thanksgiving is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!

Although it would have been really nice to have a Holiday on/near my Birthday (Nov 23rd - same weekend as American Thanksgiving)... I think I'd prefer to have Thanksgiving Earlier.

Now.. most people *know* what American Thanksgiving is about Pilgrims and Natives and all that... but Canada didn't have it's Plymouth Rock...so why do we celebrate it too?

The First AMERICAN Thanksgiving

Our story is very similar to the United States' tale. A homecoming feast of a long journey coming to an end (British Explorer Martin Frobisher's attempts to find a Northwest Passage), and the thanksgiving and celebration of a successful Harvest - as the Native Peoples of Canada did for years before Europeans came along.

Canadian Thanksgiving was, at first, not celebrated annually, but rather as a celebration for very special occasions like the end of a war, or the end of a journey. To give thanks for safe travels and battles... or on April 5,1872 to celebrate the recovery of King Edward VII!

It wasn't until 1879 - sixteen years after Lincoln declared it a Holiday in America during the Civil War - and the USA started celebrating annually - that we finally started having our yearly celebration. BUT WAIT - it was celebrated in Early November - as our Northern Harvest does take place before the USA one.

So why, in 1957 did the Government change it to the 2nd Monday in October?
    Well, after the 2nd world war we started celebrating Remembrance Day (known in America as Veterans Day) on November 11th, so to avoid having two holidays in the same fortnight (and since Remembrance Day is a fixed date, and Thanksgiving was arbitrary), they changed it!

So, now you know! That's the brief history of Canadian Thanksgiving!
    And why in 17 Days I'll get to enjoy a GREAT Turkey Dinner, surrounded by Friends and Family, while the USA has to wait 62 days.

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Wow thanks for sharing the story and history of Canadian thanks giving. I've always been curious about thanks giving as it's something that doesn't happen here.

How exciting for you that it's just around the corner! :-) Does that also kick off the Christmas celebrations or because your thanks giving is earlier do you wait until late November for all that?

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post
    Wow thanks for sharing the story and history of Canadian thanks giving. I've always been curious about thanks giving as it's something that doesn't happen here.

How exciting for you that it's just around the corner! :-) Does that also kick off the Christmas celebrations or because your thanks giving is earlier do you wait until late November for all that?
    Thanksgiving seems to always catch people by surprise - no one is quite ready for Christmas so soon after, especially since Halloween comes first. But, shortly after Thanksgiving you will definitly start to see *some* Christmas stuff in Malls, Stores, etc.. but by the time November 1st rolls around - it's full-on Christmas Season - Department Stores put up all the decoration Trees, and stores start doing their windows up for the Holidays.

You'll get a few grumbles from people who say, every year, "It's not even December Yet! Why does Christmas have to be for Two Months!" and "I swear this stuff gets put out Earlier and Earlier every year" in November, but generally, everyone starts to get a bit more in the Spirit.

I don't know anyone who puts their tree up before late-November (except LOTS of people on this forum, of course).

Since my Birthday is November 23rd, I always try to wait till after my Birthday to start decorating the house (but every year it gets harder and harder!
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Co-Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Chantelle - Thanks for the Canadian Thanksgiving info! The second monday in October is also a holiday in the US - Columbus Day!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Chantelle - Thanks for the Canadian Thanksgiving info! The second monday in October is also a holiday in the US - Columbus Day!
    Yeah - that's probably why they changed it to that date... Most of our holidays land on same/similar ones as the USA!

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow Chantelle!!!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow Chantelle!!!
    Thank You!
    I just got back from Thanksgiving Dinner with my family!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Happy thanksgiving!!!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Happy Thanks Giving! I hope you've had a lovely day