Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2008

that is so neat I may try it out later with my pics. thanks for sharing !presents
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

I cant wait to put my decs up, although we have just moved house this week so i think my tree is goign to look a bit small. We had a 5 foot one before as it went in the bay window of our small living room (didnt want to block out natural light) and now it will be in the corner not blocking any light, i guess i will see what looks good in this house and adjust next year as needd.

my main one is the tree and also the wreth on the door...squeee cant wiat until dec 1st. so pleased i work ina shop that has had crimbo music since 1st november and the towns decs went up last week!

I can't wait to get our decorations out of the attic this weekend! I'm hoping DW will let me put a few things out in the house, but we'll see...Our town has also begun decorating; the wreaths and garland went up yesterday and some of the shops on the main street have turned their lights on in ther windows and on their buildings. I love this festive time of year!
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

Outside, I put wreaths with bows on the front door, lamp post, back door and gazebo. My husband is not a big fan of holiday "exterior illumination" so we don't put up outside lights. We do position our lighted christmas trees in front of the living room and den windows which looks quite festive from outside. This year I'm excited to see how my "White Christmas" theme works out. I didn't buy much new stuff--just sorted through 35 years accumulation of ornies and decorations and came up with enough white and ivory items to do the living room and dining room. These are the only rooms whose themes I change yearly. Last year's theme was an "English Cottage Christmas" and the year before was a "Cozy Cabin Christmas".

Personalised Gifts

Hi,
    As Christmas is coming you would like to buy gifts for your friends, relatives and family members. I have seen a site in that you can find all gifts that are related to Christmas Eve.
    This is the site www(dot)flyinghippy(dot)com.

I bought a pre-lit tree after Christmas last year from Michael's and some new ornaments from Target and elsewhere and can't wait to decorate.

Most years I don't do much outside unless I have time. I put a wreath up, some garland and lights around the front doors and some lights in the planters. Sometimes I line the driveway with lights.

I usually buy at least a few new ornaments each year, along with a few strings of mini lights (you know how a strand or two always needs replacing each year) but I can't afford any new docorations this year. That's ok, though, because I still have plenty and it will look great, as usual.

I only decorate the inside. I think because my parents never decorated the outside and because I am a single mom and mechanically UNinclined. We live in a small house and I put up two trees. I actually have to cram some of the furniture into the bedrooms, like coffee table, end tables, etc....

I decorate the two livingroom windows with green garland and colored mini-lights and big red bows. The two trees are each 7ft, one is full and one is slim. I got the full one at a garage sale and when people see it, they thnk it's a real tree. I got the slim one, which is pre-lit with clear lights, at Target a few years ago after Christmas for $25. On the big tree I have my pretty glass ornaments, some recently bought and many from 30 or more years ago. I don't ever use a theme, but love my hodgepodge of ornaments of different colors. I used to use red bows on the full tree years ago, but have used winter white colored bows the past few years. On the slim tree, I hang more simple and country type ornaments, most of them are handmade things that only cost me 50 cents to a dollar at local craft shows.

I really love a tree with all clear lights, but also sometimes like just a little bit of colored mixed in, but still mostly white. and this year I am SO excited because back in the '80's one year, my mom had given me and each of my siblings and our families a Christmas tree light dimmer and I had used mine for many years but it finally broke and I hadn't been able to find anything like it for years. If you ask someone at any store, they look at you like you're crazy. Wellll, I found it online over the summer at a site, I can['t remember the name of it now, but they only cost maybe $20 at the most. and anyway, there are four dimness levels you can set your tree lights on. and you would not believe the gorgeous ambience that the dimmer settings give off.
    So, I am excited that I will get to use my dimmer this year. I actually bought two of them because I use a ton of lights and it is too much for just one dimmer. oh, I almost forgot to mention that I also have a Christmas village that used to be my ex-mother-in-law's, that I set up under the slim tree. I set boxes of different sizes , then have a blanket of 'snow' under them and over them, so it looks like it's got hills and valleys. It's just magical. and one of the best parts of the decorations is my nativity scene and candles I put on top of our entertainment center, so that is the first thing that is seen when you come in the front door. ok, enough of my bragging. Now, it's YOUR turn.

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    ...So, I am excited that I will get to use my dimmer this year. I actually bought two of them because I use a ton of lights and it is too much for just one dimmer. oh, I almost forgot to mention that I also have a Christmas village that used to be my ex-mother-in-law's, that I set up under the slim tree. I set boxes of different sizes , then have a blanket of 'snow' under them and over them, so it looks like it's got hills and valleys. It's just magical. and one of the best parts of the decorations is my nativity scene and candles I put on top of our entertainment center, so that is the first thing that is seen when you come in the front door. ok, enough of my bragging. Now, it's YOUR turn.
    Your decorations sound nice. I love hearing that your nativity is the first thing you see. Our armoire doesn't face the door. It's the only place I've had to display a nativity scene and I'm sorry that it's up so high. I've never heard of a dimmer for Christmas lights.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

I'll see if I can find the website so you can see what I am talking about. The dimmer is just a small whitish box that you plug one string of lights into, then piggyback the other strings. The small whitish box plugs into an outlet in the wall. There is a flat, brass, bell-shaped ornament that is attached to the whitish box and you hang this ornament on your tree. When you touch the ornament, it has three dimness levels and the fourth level turns the lights off. so, if you touch it once, the lights turn on at the dimmest level and each time you touch the bell ornament, the brightness increases, the brightest being how the lights would look if you had no dimmer. ok, the site is dimangoDOTcom but don't type the word DOT into your browswer, just hit the . (period) key. I really can't describe to you how nice it is to be able to set your tree lights on whatever brightness or dimness level you want. I have wanted to get another to replace my old one for at least 5 years now, so I am glad I was able to. My sister has been using hers for 20 years , at least. and it also makes it so easy to turn the tree lights on or off, too. you just have to remember where you hang the bell ornament.

I just typed, "christmas tree light dimmer" in a search engine and found the site and also found a site there where someone explains step by step with pictures how to make your own christmas tree light dimmer. And the person also gives the perfect reason why you would want one. He says (and I wholeheartedly agree) that it gives a warmer and cozier light and is more in keeping with the candlelight of centuries past.
    The do-it-yourself site is myrampDOTusDOT/diy/ remember, don't type the words DOT. so, if you want to buy one or more already made, go to dimangoDOTcom and to the other site if you want to make one of your own.
    Last edited by steph535; 11-22-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Well I have gotten two of my 15 trees decorated - these are in my living room on opposite ends...more to come .......

Lynne

turquoise/lavender and silver tree

red and gold tree