Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinchy spouses...

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

Grinchy spouses...

Well...my wife finally hit a wall this morning. We had a fight and it came out that she is annoyed with me being so obsessed with Christmas and it's the middle of July. I told her that I wanted her to be in charge of inside decorations since I'm working on the outside. She grumped at me by saying she doesn't want to think about it now. I just told her that I'm seeing a lot of good deals on things since it's the off-season. Anyway, it's sad that I'm kind of alone in my enthusiasm. I knew she wasn't the same, but I never knew it actually irritated her. Anyone else have spouses who don't share your enthusiasm?

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    Well...my wife finally hit a wall this morning. We had a fight and it came out that she is annoyed with me being so obsessed with Christmas and it's the middle of July. I told her that I wanted her to be in charge of inside decorations since I'm working on the outside. She grumped at me by saying she doesn't want to think about it now. I just told her that I'm seeing a lot of good deals on things since it's the off-season. Anyway, it's sad that I'm kind of alone in my enthusiasm. I knew she wasn't the same, but I never knew it actually irritated her. Anyone else have spouses who don't share your enthusiasm?
    Oh, Mike...maybe it's just the fact its July maybe in a month or two, she'll change
    her mind. But I like your idea of getting all the bargains though.
    I don't have that problem as the other half is just as batty about Christmas as me..

Merry Christmas to all...

I don't have a spouse, so I don't have that issue, but I don't even have any friends and family (with the exception of my mother, who hangs in there with me), that really gets into Christmas like I do...I wish I knew some people near by that I could get together and make Chrismas crafts and decorations with...oh well, I guess my mother and I will have our work cut out for us, trying to drum up some Christmas spirit during times other than December!

I wish my husband cared as much as I do about Christmas... He is the grinch too... He doesn't look at decorating as a fun thing to do, he just thinks of all of the cleanup. While I admit that there is alot of cleanup to do after the season, I enjoy going all out during the season. Perhaps your wife resents the time (or money) you spend planning Christmas. My husband INSISTED I get him a stereo last Christmas. He was very specific as to which one he wanted..In fact, it put us in a bind financially since I had not intended on spending that much money. Well, since Chriatmas he has bought an amp, and MORE speakers! Needless to say, everytime I LOOK at that stereo, I resent him for it. I have told him as much. Anyway, just a little insight..
    A Very Merry Christmas to all!

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate story, Mike. While I wouldn't describe my wife as a grinch, I know she thinks I'm a little nuts for waiting on Xmas so eagerly throughout the year. Knowing that, I try to keep my enthusiasm in check, but I can't help but let the occasional burst of excitement out, say, when the 25th of each month rolls around. Speaking of which, THAT'S TODAY!

my family now understands what Christmas means for me so I don't think they are annoyed but my granddpa always asks me why I am doing Chrismas crafts at summermy boyfriend accepted that too, he is not crazy about Christmas like I am but he loves it
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

It's difficult to advise from afar but perhaps you should consider if your spouse is right and you are taking your love of christmas to extremes. Marriage is about compromise and seeing your better half's point of view.

I hope that your disagreement is resolved soon.
    Last edited by Moley; 07-27-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Wink

Well I'm the Christmas nut in my family and I've turned my kids to Christmas addicts as well. Hubby is half way there (more like three thirds of the way)

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

I am the crazy one who is addicted to Xmas in my house... I sort of have everyone on my side, but thats because christmas is the most anticipated time of the year in our house...
    ~Michael

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Well, newsflash: My wife confessed she had other things on her mind, and she truly loves my enthusiasm about Christmas. She shares the feeling, just not all the activity. We both agree that there is absolutely NO better time of the year than the holiday season, and she supports my hobby of planning the outside display. She admits she struggles with ideas for decorating the inside, and gets jealous of me because I have so many ideas. Now it's my turn to support her in her process of coming up with ideas for decorating. Not a grinch after all!!