Thread: Saint Nicholas Day in Germany

Saint Nicholas Day in Germany

In Germany, Nikolaus is usually celebrated on a small scale. Many children put a boot called Nikolaus-Stiefel (Nikolaus boot) outside the front door on the night of 5 December. St. Nicholas fills the boot with gifts and sweets overnight, and at the same time checks up on the children to see if they were good, polite and helpful the last year. If they were not, they will have a tree branch (Rute) in their boots instead. Sometimes a disguised Nikolaus also visits the children at school or in their homes and asks them if they have been good (sometimes ostensibly checking his golden book for their record), handing out presents on a per-behavior basis. This has become more lenient in recent decades.

Its the season to be jolly
    www.the-christmas-season.com

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    looks very religious in nature.

We celebrate it too! (Dutch girl here) It's a big feast here, same scale as Christmas.

Here the religious meaning is pretty much non existent(in Holland at least.) I have a annecdote about it by the way.

Sinterklaas always wears the outfit miss Santaclaus just posted. I grew up with him and never knew anything about the religious aspect. Then in the summer, when I had just turned 4 my niece had a thing to do in the Catholic church(they are catholics.) My mom and I went to watch her and the bishop was there. And I said totally suprised and a bit upset(because maybe he was checking up on me if I'd been good) to my mom "Why is Sinterklaas here? It's not december." The small world of a 4 year old.

The attire of a bishop

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    A LARGE portion of the Christmas customs in the USA are pulled from the Dutch "SinterKlaas" and many other aspects as well.

Yes it is. The funny thing is that it has bounced back and now here it are 2 seperate holidays where Sinterklaas is celebrated in a very different manner than Christmas.