Thread: 2 gifts or 1?

2 gifts or 1?

My sister and brother-in-law were VERY recently married and I am torn as to whether I should get them each a gift or get them one "Couples" gift? I have always bought them two different gifts but I don't know if that should still be the case. The answers have been pretty much torn down the middle when it comes to the sexs.

My female friends all say that I should get them one "Couple" gift to signify that I respect their marriage, that two have become one, and all that other business.

My male friends say that I should get a separate gift for each-- those who are married say that they rarely get any use out of the "Couple" type gifts and that I should show my Brother-in-Law how much I like him (which it do) by getting him a personal gift he would really enjoy.

Normally I would just buy 1 big gift and 2 respective small gifts for them but I bought my girlfriend a bracelet from the Jewelery store which I will be paying for over the next 12 months (till next Christmas lol) and don't have that kind of disposable income right now.

So you Know'ers of Christmas, what should I do? Have any of you had this problem?
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    My sister and brother-in-law were VERY recently married and I am torn as to whether I should get them each a gift or get them one "Couples" gift? I have always bought them two different gifts but I don't know if that should still be the case. The answers have been pretty much torn down the middle when it comes to the sexs.

My female friends all say that I should get them one "Couple" gift to signify that I respect their marriage, that two have become one, and all that other business.

My male friends say that I should get a separate gift for each-- those who are married say that they rarely get any use out of the "Couple" type gifts and that I should show my Brother-in-Law how much I like him (which it do) by getting him a personal gift he would really enjoy.

Normally I would just buy 1 big gift and 2 respective small gifts for them but I bought my girlfriend a bracelet from the Jewelery store which I will be paying for over the next 12 months (till next Christmas lol) and don't have that kind of disposable income right now.

So you Know'ers of Christmas, what should I do? Have any of you had this problem?
    I guess I am from the stone age. We never did couples gifts in my family becausewhen someone got married they became part of the family. Everyone got their own gift. Now if they ask for somethig specific together then yes but otherwise I do individual gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post

Firstly, as respect of individuals, they should get their own gifts. Secondly, since you've bought two seperate gifts, which is very good, you definitely should send them both gifts. As a suggestion, you could add a Christmas card with words of blessings to the new couple. Hope it is helpful for you. Merry Christmas!

I agree separate gifts is the way to go. Even couples that have been married a long time appreciate being thought of as separate individuals instead of one collective unit.

In the end, though, it's the thought that counts.

If this is their first Christmas as a married couple, I would get a combo gift. Something to symbolize the marriage. Then next Christmas you can go back to the individual gifts.

www.bestchristmasgiftsfordad.net

In my husband's family, it is the tradition to give couples gifts - too many people otherwise. In my family, some do individual and some do couple's gifts- it can also change from year to year! I don't think it really matters!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas