Saw this on the christmaslightsetc UK site. Thought it was interestin!
My fav is sixth down
Once Upon a Christmas…
Just for fun Christmas Lights etc UK present you with some interesting facts about the holiday that we all love!
- Winter was a time of celebration to pre-Christian Romans and they decorated fir trees in honour of this seasonal change.
- The use of a Christmas wreath as a decoration on your front door, mantel or bay window symbolises a sign of welcome and long life to all who enter.
- Most artificial trees are manufactured in Korea, Taiwan, or Hong Kong.
- For every real Christmas tree harvested, 2 to 3 seedlings are planted in its place.
- The biggest selling Christmas single of all time is Bing Crosby’s White Christmas.
- Due to the time zones, Santa has 31 hours to deliver gifts? This means that he would have to visit 832 homes each second!
- In 1937, the first postage stamp to commemorate Christmas was issued in Austria.
- Three years after Thomas Edison invented the electric light bulb in 1879, Edward H.
Johnson, who worked for Edison’s company, had Christmas tree bulbs especially made for him. He proudly displayed his electric tree lights at his home on Fifth Avenue, New York City and they caused quite a sensation.
It took some years to pass before mass-manufactured Christmas tree lights were widely available and only a mere 131 years after the first Christmas tree bulbs were exhibited by Edward H. Johnson, that our all singing all dancing indestructible LED connectable fairy lights were made widely available!