Thread: Func Facts about Christmas!!!

Func Facts about Christmas!!!

Saw this on the christmaslightsetc UK site. Thought it was interestin!

My fav is sixth down

Once Upon a Christmas…

Just for fun Christmas Lights etc UK present you with some interesting facts about the holiday that we all love!

- Winter was a time of celebration to pre-Christian Romans and they decorated fir trees in honour of this seasonal change.

- The use of a Christmas wreath as a decoration on your front door, mantel or bay window symbolises a sign of welcome and long life to all who enter.

- Most artificial trees are manufactured in Korea, Taiwan, or Hong Kong.

- For every real Christmas tree harvested, 2 to 3 seedlings are planted in its place.

- The biggest selling Christmas single of all time is Bing Crosby’s White Christmas.

- Due to the time zones, Santa has 31 hours to deliver gifts? This means that he would have to visit 832 homes each second!

- In 1937, the first postage stamp to commemorate Christmas was issued in Austria.

- Three years after Thomas Edison invented the electric light bulb in 1879, Edward H.
    Johnson, who worked for Edison’s company, had Christmas tree bulbs especially made for him. He proudly displayed his electric tree lights at his home on Fifth Avenue, New York City and they caused quite a sensation.

It took some years to pass before mass-manufactured Christmas tree lights were widely available and only a mere 131 years after the first Christmas tree bulbs were exhibited by Edward H. Johnson, that our all singing all dancing indestructible LED connectable fairy lights were made widely available!
    Last edited by lottibecks; 09-23-2010 at 12:39 AM.

I like the 5th one down!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Great info there, a few I didn't know about

Due to the time zones, Santa has 31 hours to deliver gifts? This means that he would have to visit 832 homes each second!!!!!!!! Oh God!!!!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

After winning the English Civil War Oliver Cromwell decreed a ban on celebrating christmas, including a prohibition on cooking fowl specially in celebration. His puritan informers would spend christmas day searching for those who were breaching the order by cooking christmas dinner, often by following the smell of cooking poultry, when found those who dared to celebrate christmas were in dire trouble with the puritan state, hence the english expression "Your goose is cooked" meaning that you are in trouble.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Thumbs up

I think the 3rd fact is depressing and the 4th is pleasing. Interesting info.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

Interesting info from The Mole!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    After winning the English Civil War Oliver Cromwell decreed a ban on celebrating christmas, including a prohibition on cooking fowl specially in celebration. His puritan informers would spend christmas day searching for those who were breaching the order by cooking christmas dinner, often by following the smell of cooking poultry, when found those who dared to celebrate christmas were in dire trouble with the puritan state, hence the english expression "Your goose is cooked" meaning that you are in trouble.
    That's very interesting!

TiaTia - I think most mass manufacturing is depressing:( Our food is overly processed in mass manufacturing factories; I hope we are heading in the right direction permanently with the whole foods "trend." Here's hoping it's not a trend. Ok, I got off topic!

Holiday Single Girl - a blog for singles who love Christmas
    http://holidaysinglegirl.blogspot.com