Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There may be no civic christmas lights this year

That's the problem, the businesses have got away with it again, leaving the benifactor and the District Council to pick up the bill...
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

So sorry to hear that. It's penny-wise and dollar-foolish on the part of the merchants!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Another update...

VOTE: Bringing Christmas cheer to Chichester
    Published on Thu Oct 28 08:00:00 BST 2010

Chichester city councillors are sticking to their guns over a decision to cancel this year’s city centre Christmas lights display, but a few beams are set to shine out in the darkness.

The city council’s finance committee agreed to earmark 1,500 to provide spotlighting around the Rotary Club’s charity Christmas tree at the City Cross over the festive period.

The annual display was called off after city businesses failed to match the 15,000 set aside in the council budget.

All of the council cash would have come from council tax payers in the city, because it does not get a share of business rates.

The committee decided, however, to set aside a similar sum for Christmas, 2011 – again on the basis that there must be match funding from businesses before a display can be organised.

The hope is for a better response now the council has demonstrated it really meant what it said when it warned the display would be cancelled for 2010, unless businesses chipped in the same amount as them.

“I believe next year will be different,” said committee chairman Cllr Tony French. “I think there will be a very different response.”

His committee supported his proposal to accept there should be no display this year because match funding was not provided.

The Observer is planning to put a bit of festive cheer back into the city this Christmas by holding a best dressed window display competition.

There has been much public outcry after a lack of support from city businesses meant the normal lights display could not be funded in partnership with Chichester City Council.

No matter how big or small your business we are asking everyone to participate to show that the Christmas spirit is well and truly alive in the city.

Observer series editor Colin Channon said: “It was disappointing to hear that the city will not have its usual festive atmosphere this Christmas.

“So we at the Observer thought something should be done to help spread a little festive cheer around the city.

“We want all the shops and businesses to get involved and come up with the best and most creative Christmas window display to help brighten up the city streets.

“We don’t want shoppers to go elsewhere, when they should be coming here.”

Details on how to enter will be appearing in the Observer soon.

The winner will be picked by a panel of judges, with a top prize on offer
    Last edited by Moley; 10-29-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: They changed their web link to a new format.

whoever this person is probably is very generous among many charities, god bless em

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    UPDATE: An anonymous benifactor has offered to make up the 12,000 shortfall, though how anyone has that sort of money to donate on a whim is beyond me, there are far more urgent and needy causes in the world to donate to.

True! This type of person donates time and money unselfishly!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas