Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you prepared for the autumn and winter?

Are you prepared for the autumn and winter?

Last weekend I went through the family 'emergency box' making sure that the matches, candles, torches, and gas camping stove were still OK, in addition we always have a tarpaulin to hand in case the autumn/winter storms cause damage to our roof, and plastic bags to fill with earth or sand in case of a flood alert. Just in case we have a repeat of the (for the UK) heavy snow of earlier this year we have a stock of tinned and powdered food, as well as some stored water in case we are cut-off once more, or supplies fail.

Do any of you take similar preperations?
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Smile Hello

Well, two years ago from where I live, the family went without power for almost a week after experiencing Hurricane Ike. As for the snow, it was very peaceful, and it only lasted a day.

Working on things now, getting the furnace and fireplace tuned up, stuff put away in the garage and yard. Stocking up on deicing salt, gloves, shovels. Also doing some caulking on the house and checking seals around doors and windows. Busy busy

Snowman is offline Naughty & Nice List Keeper
    I think we should be okay with most things,but we don't have a torch in the house,just remembered throwing them away a couple of weeks ago because of battery leakage,will buy some new ones this week.I could survive by candle light,looking at the amount my wife has around the house,and those will increase by a few more smelly Christmas ones towards Christmas.

Having a wind-up (hand-crank) torch (flashlight) or lantern would be a sensible idea. You can leave them for a while without the risk of the batteries leaking and with a minute's winding they are ready for whatever you have to cope with. Last Christmas I was given a wind-up headlamp that can detach and be used as a torch as well as having the fitting to be used as a cycle light. I wasn't expecting it to work that well but I was suprised at how well it did work.

I am not too worried about snow right now because it's 100 crazy degrees now here in Houston. I am however going to call the chimney sweeper guy out as well as the heater guy next month, to make sure all is well. We usually prepare like y'all do for hurricane season, which is not over till November.
    A Very Merry Christmas to all!

It's not just snow of course, getting prepped is a wise thing to do because you never know what life may throw at you. This winter I'm looking out for a set of slip-on shoe grips in case it gets really icy as it did last year, so far I've yet to see any in the shops and if I don't see any by early November I'll improvise my own from some tacks and sections of bicycle inner tube...

We just stocked up on a variety of provisions before Hurricane Irene. We won't be hit by bad winter weather until December, so we'll stock up on things like ice-melt and check shovels in November. Our next big project is raking leaves which will start in earnest in a few weeks. We live on a hilltop with woodlands across the street so we are totally inundated by leaves every year. I will stop by the village hall tomorrow to pick up some leaf bags! Will need about 40 to 45 bags just to do our small front yard!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Nope! I never take any such precautions... I've never had a problem, though. The weather here is always pretty tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post
    Nope! I never take any such precautions... I've never had a problem, though. The weather here is always pretty tame.
    As is here. Pretty boring here actually weather wise.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World