Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gift Cards - Acceptable or a cop out?

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I think it depends, but they can be a great gift. I've only ever given the movie gift cards myself, and I've only done that twice.

One year I gave a movie gift card to a friend who's life wasn't going very well. She had two small children, was very tight for cash and living with her ex-inlaws (It's a long story). It didn't cost me much money, but if I had just given her 20 dollars or so, she just would have spent it on diapers or what ever. This way I was able to give her an much deserved evening out, and she really appreciated it! She told me it was the best gift she got.

Seems I'm the only one here who isn't a big fan of gift cards. I kinda see them as a cop-out, though I understand sometimes there are just no other options. Still, I would rather put the effort into giving something tangible. Seeing a pile of gift cards under the tree just doesn't do it for me.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I don't think anyone's talking about a "pile" of gift cards. Just a nice option for the person you can't seem to find anything for.

Gift cards are especially great for teenagers to purchase clothing with. You can never quite get those purchases right!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I wouldn't mind getting a couple this Christmas

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

A gift card to the right store is always a winner. Example: I have a friend who does model trains, and there is a specific store he likes to get things from. A gift card is the best solution.

I don't like them because you can't wrap them in a decent size box. It's all about presentation

My Christmas Blogs
    **NEW** Silver & Gold Christmas http silver and gold christmas dot blogspot dot you know... (let me know what you think!)
    My regular Christmas blog: Kris Kringle For Singles dot blogspot dot you know...

Quote Originally Posted by KrisKringleforSingles View Post
    I don't like them because you can't wrap them in a decent size box. It's all about presentation
    I completely disagree. You can wrap them in whatever size box you choose! In fact, I always do that if I'm giving a gift card, just to throw them off the scent.

I do the same thing Mike. I like to wrap gift cards in different sized boxes.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

My sisters and I always exchange gift cards because we have such different tastes that we can NEVER get anything for each other that the other will actually like. I think a gift-card is thoughtful because it shows you put some thought into it (like the specific store you got the card from) but that you are allowing the person to get something they would like. I wouldn't recommend this for significant others because often, gifts are a statement on the relationship!