Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Friends outside of USA

Question for Friends outside of USA

Friends that live outside the USA, could you share something differnt that is native to your country. Do you use different ornaments, tree skirts, other decorations.

Gail

:tree:

Quote Originally Posted by gandr1212 View Post
    Friends that live outside the USA, could you share something differnt that is native to your country. Do you use different ornaments, tree skirts, other decorations.

Gail
    Hi, in Greece since we are mostly surrounded by water, it was customary to decorate a small boat instead of a Christmas tree. Even to this day some households decorate both. I am a fan of Christmas trees.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

In Germany .. or in my family .. we use red bows, wooden ornaments, and a lot more. I have posted some pics 'CHristmas 2009' YOu can take a look. Here is the link http://www.allthingschristmas.com/fo...ead.php?t=2403
    And of course, we celebrate Christmas on Dec 24th at the evening. We always have a real tree. Put them up one day before Christmas and decorate him on Dec 24th in the morning.
    We only have 1 tree. The main tree. I have seen in the US most people have more than 1 tree.
    Its the season to be jolly
    www.the-christmas-season.com

Talking

For Greek people, Christmas is regarded by many as less colourful than the Greek Easter..
    Greeks (except me and Tiatia), compared to other countries, start to decorate homes late, just a few days before Christmas..

Accoring to our tadition, a ship is decorated a few days before Christmas, instead of a tree, but, honestly, I can hardly see that in most houses, as, lots of people decorate tree nowadays..

In the city I live (Thessaloniki), many municipalities decorate their squares and roads with Christmas Trees and Ships.
    Click, here and here
    Last edited by olga; 06-18-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

Ya'll that is so interesting, different but the same.

British Christmas is very similar to American Christmas. However, Britain is quite multicutural now and things from other countries are incoperated (for example, most christmas trees have a red bow on them which comes from Germany).

But yeah, aside from little things like that, it's pretty much the same as the US, except no-where near as big. Which kinda sucks but it's always big in my house

Australian Christmas is in the middle of summer. Often heading toward 40 degrees (over 100F) - so many things are different.

The fireplace usually gets heavily decorated seeing as it is not in use. The meal is often seafood and salad (but not always). Afternoon activities might include a swim in the pool. But the decorations are pretty much the same - even to the fake snow sprayed on the windows!!!

A white Christmas is just a dream!
    Merry Christmas to all - for all the year round. http://www.myvintagechristmasdecorations.net

Dutch Christmas is pretty similar to Amarican Christmas. The differences: Dutch Christmas is 2 days(25th and 26th.)In a lot of Dutch household it is a tradition to gourmet on one of those days. Gourmet is like raclette, but only with meat and vegetables instead of cheese. There are plates with different kinds of raw meat and vegetables. People surve themselves and have to prepare it in their own little pan. There is also bread and different kind of sauces on the table to eat it with. It's a long meal because it is a little pan and lots of different sort of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvira1986 View Post
    Dutch Christmas is pretty similar to Amarican Christmas. The differences: Dutch Christmas is 2 days(25th and 26th.)In a lot of Dutch household it is a tradition to gourmet on one of those days. Gourmet is like raclette, but only with meat and vegetables instead of cheese. There are plates with different kinds of raw meat and vegetables. People surve themselves and have to prepare it in their own little pan. There is also bread and different kind of sauces on the table to eat it with. It's a long meal because it is a little pan and lots of different sort of food.

Elvira1986, that looks so good.

Littlestar, I know how it feels. In Louisiana it can be warm for christmas. Not the middle of summer hot, but not a white christmas usually.