Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever cut down your own Christmas Tree?

:tree: Have you ever cut down your own Christmas Tree?

I haven't but I would love to.

Yes, I've been doing it for a few years now. It seems so festive to me. Last year's trunk was massive at the bottom- I had muscle fatigue and was covered in mud by the time I was done!
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

I haven't, but I'm not a fan of using cut trees as Christmas trees. There's something unsettling about decorating a dying tree that just makes me want a fake tree instead.

We went to a tree farm two Christmases in a row and cut down our own tree. That was about maybe 10 years ago, when we lived in Michigan. My brother had been doing it with his family for years and told us about the farm. We had always bought a real tree from a tree lot or a store in the past. I love the smell of real trees and thought that it would be even better with a fresh cut one and that the tree would last longer. But, both years I was surprised that the tree's fragrance didn't last more than maybe a day or two. And we bought one of the kinds we always do, which are known for their good fragrance. Anyway, our circumstances since then, have prevented us from cutting our own tree or from getting a real tree at all, for that matter. But, I have to tell you that it is a whole lot of fun and very Christmassy feeling to go pick your own tree and cut it down, haul it to your car, and all the rest. And of course, here in Florida, there's not really any kind of real tree that I would want for my Christmas tree, even if I could get one.

:gift:

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyskyfish View Post
    I haven't, but I'm not a fan of using cut trees as Christmas trees. There's something unsettling about decorating a dying tree that just makes me want a fake tree instead.
    Well, thats what I think too..

Actually, in my family, we never got a real one .. In fact, we loved and still love fake trees!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

Quote Originally Posted by olga View Post
    Well, thats what I think too..

Actually, in my family, we never got a real one .. In fact, we loved and still love fake trees!!

Yes! So, does the smell of a fake tree bring out nostalgic Christmas feelings? I swear it does for me!

We've always cut down our own; this is the Evergreen State, afterall. U-cut trees last longer before drying out than pre-cut trees do, so pre-cut trees tend to be more of a fire-hazard. They sit in a parking lot without water for who knows how long, so they're more hazardous than freshly cut trees that you take home right away and put in a stand with some water. And I've never really cared for fake trees. They don't smell good like real trees.

Here's ours last year:
    http://bejollybygolly.blogspot.com/2...mas-trees.html

(is it okay to post links like that? If it's not, let me know or mods can get rid of it!)

I don;t think we have. Maybe my parents did when I was younger but I, myself, never have,
    http://XmasDVD.com - Watch Christmas clips, movies, commercials, cartoons and more, online all year long!

Growing up we NEVER had a real tree. My mother being allergic to pines (and other types of evergreens). However, my best friend from high-school's family welcomed me into their traditions and when she was away at school I got to go as her stand-in for Christmas Tree Cutting for three years in a row.

Although I'm sort of against killing a live tree - I do have to say that it was a great experience and I'm happy I did it. Especially since the tree farm offered Tractor Rides and Hot Apple Cider. :D :D :D

:tree:

Are there scented fake trees available that smell like the real thing?

My Christmas Blogs
    **NEW** Silver & Gold Christmas http silver and gold christmas dot blogspot dot you know... (let me know what you think!)
    My regular Christmas blog: Kris Kringle For Singles dot blogspot dot you know...