Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are you from?

Hybrid View

Where are you from?

I searched the forum, but I could not find a thread about it, so I thought I'd start one. I have seen in peoples comments that they are from a lot of different countries. So I am actually wondering where you all are from.

I am from Arnhem. It is a city in the east of The Netherlands(Western Europe)

A few pictures too give you an idea.
    This is a map of The Netherlands. The green arrow points to Arnhem.

A picture of Arnhem's City Center from Above.

The Korenmarkt(Grainmarket) is the place to go out in Arnhem it is a big square, with a lot of alleys full of bars and disco's. On saturday and on nice evenings in the summer everyone is there.

People from outside The Netherlands may know the city because of the Battle of Arnhem in the 2nd World War. The movie "A bridge too far" about this, was also filmed here.

I am looking forward to hearing and seeing where you are from.

Hi Elvira. Interesting thread.

I was in Amsterdam last year, I loved the city, it was my first time there. I've heard of your city, but never been there. Is the weather always cloudy there? I have a relative who lives there and told me that it rains often. Actually, I go every year to Belgium, Brussells, because my sister lives there, that's how I came to Netherlands. I also liked the bicycles!! So many.. Here, in Greece, there are no roads for bicycles, you can only go ftom the beach.

I live in Thessaloniki, the second most crowded city in Greece (Athens is the capital).
    Greece is in the south side of Europe and thats why, the weather is not very very cold here, especially in winters.
    The city I live, is north of Greece. A lot of tourists come here every summer, to visit the islands.

I recently did a presentation about Greece for my Cross Cultural Analysis class in college(I go to a college in Amsterdam.) One of the people I was presenting with has a girlfriend in Greece. It was really interesting This summer my friends and I will visit one of your neighboring countries for a week, Bulgaria.

It isn't always clouded here, but it is a lot of the time. We have a lot of rain. I don't mind it usually(even love the heavy rains and wind in autumn,) but now it is not so nice, because it is supposed to be summer.

To be honest I don't know anything about Thessaloniki. I only recognize the name. Is it a beautiful city?

I would love to visit Greece some day. My brother was there in the military and said it is a beautiful country! I live in North Carolina (usa)!
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

Smile

I wanna be realistic.

Thessaloniki is a beautiful city, at least thats how I see this town, because I grew up here.
    It an easy city to live, because you will never get confused with the roads.
    Each one, leads to the beach. So, its easy not to get lost, if you are new to town.

Generally, in my opinion, Thessaloniki, is an expensive city.
    It has a central square, called ''Aristotelous Place'', the meeting point for everyone. The most famous cafe, bars, restaurants, hotels etc, are here.
    There is an avenue, near to see, called Niki's Avenue, full of bars.
    But, prices are too high.. For a coffee, you pay 4 euros.. A drink (whiskey, vodka - 8 euros..) I can not afford that, so I choose to go out somewhere else, not in downtown.
    Nightlife is one of the best. And food too. They say, that the city never sleeps…

As years go by, Thessaloniki gets worst… Young people can not find a job and leave town, in order to go to the capital of Greece (Athens), where they can find more opportunities for a better future. And that has nothing to do with the ‘’Financial Crisis’’. This, has become the number one problem for the city, for a lot of years. Slaries at jobs, begin from 600 euros for 5 days a week, working 8 hours a day.. You are lucky if your salary is 900-1000 euros..

Another problem for the city, is that people can only move with buses.
    Metro is under construction from last year....The roads are always crowded..
    The atmosphere is not clear at all.. Too much traffic.. Too much air pollution..
    When I went to Amsterdam last year, I loved all that those people with bicycles…

Anyway, Thessaloniki has a great history, so, you can find a lot of impressing museums and sightseeings. The city has great universities, but with no facilities for kids that have come from other cities.
    The areas that surround the city, have beautiful beaches.
    They say for the city, that is the most important port in the Balkans. A famous cinema festival is organized here, every November. Its great.

For everyone who comes and visit Thessaloniki for a few days, will definitely love it, because he can not see the problems I mentioned before.
    You must have lived here for years and compare all these things Im saying..

I really love the city, but as years go by, I am very worried for my future here.

Hello onemagicalchristmas.

Where in Greece, was your brother?

I've lived in New York State all my life. I was born in NYC, but moved upstate (Syracuse area) when I was 1. I've lived all over the state - Queens, Rome, Oneida, Oneonta, Binghamton, Ithaca, Brooklyn, Spring Valley and now Sloatsburg (23 years here ,- my longest stay anywhere)
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I'm born in Croatia and I live in Croatia all my life, about 35 km from Slovenian border.
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

I'm from Serbia (Eastern Europe)

I clicked to read what aLEKSA had posted, scrolled up and saw the post by MissSantaClaus. it made me sad.