Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once it's over......

Once it's over......

Every year after taking down all the Christmas decorations and storing them, there's a big letdown for me. After I put the last box away I came in from the garage and told my wife, "Well, another 10 1/2 months before I can put the decorations out again. I miss the tree already. And the lights. And the movies." Then she added, "And you miss the music, and seeing presents under the tree, and the television shows, and the food, and....."

This made me think - what do I miss most about Christmas once everything's been put away? This year it's a tie between the lights and the music.

What about you? What do you miss the most once Christmas is over?
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

Ooohhh.... So difficult to tell....What I miss most...
    Here are some first thoughts...

Whether you believe it or not, I really miss November, the month where I usually do all of my preparations, the month where fall turns slowly into winter..
    This is the month where most shops start to decorate their windows and the atmosphere in my city becomes so Christmassy..

During this month, I really enjoy listening to smooth old jazz Christmas music, while spending most evenings cooking, while also drinking a glass of red wine.
    I love November much more from December, I dare to say.. December always makes me get a little nervous, with all those things I have to do, in order everything to be ready for the big days!! So many expectations also, but often get a little dissapointed with some things.. Its funny, my friends, no one in my house, friends and all of family, sees Christmas the way I do.. Maybe its not funny and maybe Im the one who is that crazy with Christmas, of course..

I hope this does not sound crazy to you, but, honestly, that is how I feel..

- Of course, Im definitely gonna miss my lovely tree and all of those warm and lazy moments lying on my sofa, watching the lights twinkling. Most peaceful moments, every day, for the last 2 months...

- I also have to add something strange that happened the day New Year came.. Half of my Christmas lights (500) just stopped working....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simple as that!!!!
    Last edited by olga; 01-06-2015 at 02:43 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

I always miss the Christmas lights the most. That...and the feeling that every thing is going to be alright; the high spirits that everyone enjoys during the holiday season. I won't miss the added expenses or the stress-inducing high expectations.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I miss driving around and seeing all the various lights and decorations in the neighborhood. Also, our main street has large lit snowflakes attached to all the light poles that the city puts up every year about the week before Thanksgiving. It is SO magical to drive through it when the sun goes down! They will be taking them down this coming weekend, and I always get SO sad when that happens.

I will miss the evenings with my wife, when the boys go to bed, and we sit together every evening and watch a Christmas movie with the tree all aglow, and the Balsam-scented candles filling the air. Almost every night, I would remind her that THIS moment we are in is what I cherish. I just felt so much at peace, and my heart bursting with warmth and love.

So, perhaps it's not a "thing" that I will miss most, but the feeling that I miss most. It only comes once a year, and my heart hurts when it passes.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Agree with all of you, I will miss this Christmas feeling and positive vibes all around us. Lights outside,on the streets and in our house, Christmas tree and looking for Christmas decorations in centres
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

I agree with everyone, too. And, like Olga, I love the fall when we're getting close, but it's not quite here. My heart is full of Christmas long before there are outward signs and once the signs start appearing it just magnifies the magic I feel. Once December comes, I feel pressured to absorb it all before it's gone. And it's always gone too fast!

On our street, not many people put lights up, but a few of the houses next and across from us are all lit up, so when I come home it's all bright and cozy. I miss the lights most- it all looks so dark and cold without them. I like seeing all the lights as I drive around, too- it gives me the feeling that we're all together in the Christmas moment. Afterward, we all go back to our separate lives.

I'd say I miss the music, but I'd have to stop listening to it long enough.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I watched a show on public television last night that documented recollections of growing up on a farm back in the 40's. There was a whole segment on his memories of Christmas back then when he was a boy. It made me feel VERY nostalgic and excited for Christmas to come again this year!!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    I'd say I miss the music, but I'd have to stop listening to it long enough.
    Could not agree more.....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

I've listened to Christmas music more this "off-season" than any year before. I've often wondered if that would make it less appealing when the season officially comes around this year. Yesterday I saw a Christmas quote that confirmed just how right it is for me to listen to Christmas music all year long:

I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month.
    Harlan Miller

That's how I'm looking at it now. Listening to Christmas music for me is like opening a jar of Christmas spirit any time I want.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

It's funny, but I rarely listen to Christmas music from January - October. I will do everything else Christmassy - gift buying, movies, crafts, card making, etc. I just don't listen to Christmas music! I love the Christmas spirit - I just think Christmas music is the icing on the cake!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas